Rewind screencast

HelpXplain is the exciting new animated infographics and screencast tool that integrates with Help+Manual.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Andrew Pianin

Rewind screencast

Unread post by Andrew Pianin »

Hello!
I would like to find out whether some management tool is for a screencast made with HelpXPlain. I mean the functions like rewind (towards or backwards), stop playing, resume playing. I realise that a screencast is just an animation of multiple captures, but maybe HelpXPlain has any extended functions for controlling.
I would be very pleased to get any help.
Andrew Pianin
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Rewind screencast

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Andrew,

If you choose a skin with player controls on publishing your screencast you will automatically get play, stop, forward and back buttons in the player controls. If you want an option to "rewind" to the first slide you just need to put an element with a link action in the slide from which you want to rewind, linking to the first slide in the presentation.

HX_LinkAction.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Andrew Pianin

It works. 8)
Thank you a lot Tim.
Andrew Pianin
Andrew Pianin

Hello Tim!
There is one more question about playing screencast. I tried to publish my screencast using these skins: Slide Indicators, Slide Thumbnails. Having played published screencasts I noticed that autoplay mode didn`t work. I have to press a navigation button on a keyboard or click via mouse on next slide in order to see next slide. Screencast doesn`t play automatically if it is published using those skins (Slide Indicators, Slide Thumbnails). Is it correct behaviour?
Andrew Pianin
Tim Green
Site Admin

Andrew Pianin wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:05 pm Screencast doesn`t play automatically if it is published using those skins (Slide Indicators, Slide Thumbnails). Is it correct behaviour?
I just tested this and it's working fine. Do your screencasts contain audio? They're not allowed to start automatically by browser security rules if they do -- there has to be user interaction. And Screencasts with those skins don't actually lend themselves to autoplay, as it might confuse the user without a visible ability to stop, even though it does work. :?
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Andrew Pianin

My screencasts don`t contain audio. I tried playing screencasts via different browsers (Chrome or IE). In my case autoplay doesn`t work when I use templates described above. Nevertheless I found the way to start autoplay using configurations you showed in your previous post. I added a shape and configured Go to another slide (to slide #1) using the block Link and Interaction. I turned on also the checkbox Resume AutoPlay on click. Thus at the beginning of the screencast I have to press the customized button (shape) to start playing my screencast.
Andrew Pianin
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

I assume that you view the Xplains directly in the browser, don't you? The autoplay function is not part of the the Xplain itself, but is triggered from outside the Xplain. In most cases by the script that opens the lightbox and shows the Xplain. To initiate autoplay on the root level (e.g. the Xplain fills the browser window/tab), you need to specify it as parameter of the url. The value is in seconds. To start playign immediately, make it very small.

No auto-play:
https://www.helpandmanual.com/xplain/hx ... -zoom.html

With autoplay, starts after 0.1 seconds:
https://www.helpandmanual.com/xplain/hx ... toplay=0.1
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH
Andrew Pianin

Hello Alexander!
Not exactly, I view the Xplains from my WebHelp document. All my screencasts are into my WebHelp document.
Andrew Pianin
Tim Green
Site Admin

Andrew Pianin wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:48 am I view the Xplains from my WebHelp document. All my screencasts are into my WebHelp document.
Are you setting Autoplay in the dialog in Help+Manual with which you insert them in your project? The autoplay setting is not stored in the Xplain file. You need to set it in the dialog. You need to activate the [x] Play after (s) [ ] setting in that dialog and enter the number of seconds to wait.

Also, if you set the Xplain to display in a lightbox, it won't start until the user clicks on the preview image to open the lightbox, of course. If you have set autoplay it will then wait the amount of seconds you set before starting.
Regards,

Private support:
Andrew Pianin

No, I ain`t. I have set Play after (s) . It works fine now.
Thank you a lot.
Andrew Pianin