Adjusting a template for PDF

Please post all questions relating to Help & Manual 6 here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

liza_elagina

Adjusting a template for PDF

Unread post by liza_elagina »

Hello, Tim,
I would like to know how I can start each new chapter with a new page. Now my table of contents looks like the attached image and every chapter begins right after the previous one.
I am also wondering if it is possible for the bookmark bar in a PDF document to have not only names of chapters, but also their numbers?
Thank you in advance!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Adjusting a template for PDF

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Liza,
I would like to know how I can start each new chapter with a new page.
You can define automatic page breaks for all topic levels in your PDFs by editing the print manual template (see the PDF & Printed Manuals chapter in the help for details on how to edit the template). Select the Topics section of the template and then select Pages > Page Options (or double-click on an empty section of the page). You can then define the page break options separately for each level in the table at the bottom of the page.

Note 1: The page break setting for "Section starts..." at the top of the dialog is only for the beginning of the entire Topics section, i.e. for the very first topic in the project.

Note 2: When you set page breaks for odd or even pages you must also make sure that you turn off the option "Ignore blank pages in PDF" in your PDF project properties (Project Explorer > Configuration > Publishing Options > PDF > PDF Layout). When this option is on all blank pages will be suppressed and it often won't be possible for topics to start on odd pages.
I am also wondering if it is possible for the bookmark bar in a PDF document to have not only names of chapters, but also their numbers?
Yes, you can activate this in your project. Go to Configuration > Publishing Options > PDF > PDF Layout. In addition to activating the "Create Table of Contents (Outline)" option, which generates the Bookmarks TOC, also activate the option below it for numbering.

Note: In your screenshot the red outline around one of the text objects indicates that part of the object is outside the band containing it. You can adjust it precisely to the borders of the band with the help of this display and the arrow keys. Use SHIFT+Arrow Keys to adjust the size one pixel at a time and CTRL+Arrow Keys to adjust the position one pixel at a time. Move towards the border until the outline turns red, then move back 1 pixel to align it precisely.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.