Callout text overflows on Firefox mobile

HelpXplain is the exciting new animated infographics and screencast tool that integrates with Help+Manual.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Bob Brink

Callout text overflows on Firefox mobile

Unread post by Bob Brink »

Hi,

I have found that callouts with text work well for my testing, except for mobile Firefox. Here the text often spills out of the text box. I do not use automatic text sizes. I am making the text boxes larger, but some need to be enlarged to the point where they look ungainly.

My testing is limited to Firefox mobile on Android. Is there a better approach to remedy this?

Thanks!
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Callout text overflows on Firefox mobile

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Bob,

Try going into the Design tab, click on Customize Theme and then set explicit sizes for all the font options. That generally solves a lot of text size issues in HelpXplain. Also look in Help > About and make sure that you are using the current version and build, which is 1.5.0 Build 1428, and update with the currente installer if necessary. You can download the installer here:

https://helpandmanual.com/downloads.html#helpxplain
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Bob Brink

Unread post by Bob Brink »

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I am already using latest version and already using explicit font sizes, so I guess I will just have to make a note to test on mobile Firefox and adjust accordingly.

Everything looks beautiful in all other browsers I have tested, on multiple devices. Perhaps Firefox will improve its rendering in future.

Thanks again,

Bob
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Bob,

Please send a small demo project to support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @) so that we can test it out. There may be something we can do to improve performance in Firefox.

The background to this is that Firefox is now pretty much the only browser that uses its own rendering engine (Gecko). Internet Explorer, which still uses Microsoft's old Trident engine, is now obsolete and should no longer be used. Chrome, Microsoft Edge and pretty much all alternative browsers are now based on Chrome's Blink engine, so they will now all behave (almost) the same when rendering HTML and CSS, though there may still be some differences in JavaScript handling. This is actually a good thing, because the browser is now the equivalent of an operating system for web pages. And web pages have become so complex and more software than layout that it is almost impossible to expect them to behave exactly the same under different operating systems, which is what browsers with different rendering engines are, effectively. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.