Broken topic URLs in webhelp

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Tansy

Broken topic URLs in webhelp

Unread post by Tansy »

Hello,
If I publish webhelp with the enabled option Topic URL below page, links that contain the parenthesis ( symbol get disrupted. They are published correctly but they lead to the document start instead of the respective page. The links contain the ( because the topic title has them.

Example
The topic title: Something something (Administration)
The URL: website.com/manual/something-something-(a.html
The URL at the bottom of the page is identical to that in the browser address line.

How do I fix this without changing the topic name?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Broken topic URLs in webhelp

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Tansy,

You need to change the topic ID so that it does not contain illegal characters like ( and ). The title can stay the same, but the ID should not contain characters like that. Select the Topic Options tab and change the ID there. All references to the topic within the project will be updated automatically when you do this.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tansy

Unread post by Tansy »

Thank you Tim! What about the references to the topic for which I modify the ID - will they be update automatically? Meaning, I do not have to change anything else after changing the Topic ID?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Tansy wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:10 pm Thank you Tim! What about the references to the topic for which I modify the ID - will they be update automatically? Meaning, I do not have to change anything else after changing the Topic ID?
No problem, as I already wrote above: All references to the topic within the project will be updated automatically when you do this. 8)
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Tansy wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:10 pm Thank you Tim! What about the references to the topic for which I modify the ID - will they be update automatically? Meaning, I do not have to change anything else after changing the Topic ID?
No problem, as I already wrote above: All references to the topic within the project will be updated automatically when you do this. 8)
Regards,

Private support: