Please finally sort the keyboard shortcuts out....

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Darren Rose

Please finally sort the keyboard shortcuts out....

Unread post by Darren Rose »

Can someone please sort the keyboard shortcuts out in H&M.

In every single other app I use and have ever used in the last however many years I can press

Alt+F and then S to save
Alt+F and then C to close
Alt+F and then O to open

But for some reason in H&M once you display the File menu with Alt+F you are expected to use

R for open???!
Y2 (whatever that is) for save
and
Y3 (again what the hell is this?) for close

2022-02-08_13-57-34.png

These are pretty standard shortcut keys that just about anyone programming an app would use so why not H&M?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Please finally sort the keyboard shortcuts out....

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Darren,

I've passed this on. It's not something I've noticed myself as I tend to be very mouse-focused. However, after checking I've discovered that Y1 and so on literally do mean tapping the Y key followed by the corresponding number key. As long as the overlays with those tips are visible, the Y key seems to function as a kind of remapped CTRL key. Office does this as well for some ALT functions, with the same kind of overlays, which is not surprising, since the Ribbon component is basically an Office clone. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Darren Rose

Tim Green wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:37 am I tend to be very mouse-focused
On that subject - something else which could be improved!!

I regularly use scroll wheel on my mouse and would expect it (as per all other apps) to scroll whatever content is currently underneath the mouse pointer - but with H&M this isn't so.

Video clip below probably demonstrates this better, but for example with windows explorer as you move mouse point the scroll wheel will scroll whichever pane you hover mouse pointer over. So in H&M I would expect same behaviour depending on whether mouse pointer is hovered over project explorer or a topic - but it doesn't!! you have to actually click in either topic or project explorer before you can then use mouse wheel to scroll up/down

:)

explorer (and all other app) behaviour - https://www.screencast.com/t/UG9zQ635

H&M behaviour - https://www.screencast.com/t/9zQtprcHd
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

I regularly use scroll wheel on my mouse and would expect it (as per all other apps) to scroll whatever content is currently underneath the mouse pointer - but with H&M this isn't so.
This has already been discussed at length. Apparently it's problematic with the Delphi components -- I'm afraid I have to defer to the developers here. :?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Darren Rose

disappointing - sounds like a cop out from the developers to be honest - I'm sure there is plenty of software written with delphi which doesn't have this issue!
Darren Rose

Bumping this topic hoping it might get resolved as just noted this is only an issue in newer versions of H&M, in version 7.5.3 the shortcut keys were fine, so seems even stranger that a newer version should have the issue.......
Martin Wynne

Unread post by Martin Wynne »

Darren Rose wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 2:52 pmBumping this topic hoping it might get resolved as just noted this is only an issue in newer versions of H&M, in version 7.5.3 the shortcut keys were fine, so seems even stranger that a newer version should have the issue.......
Hi Darren,

The traditional shortcuts do actually work (Ctrl+S to Save, etc.), and you can change them to whatever you want:

hm_save.png
cheers,

Martin.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Darren Rose

Hi Martin

Thanks for your reply.

Those were not the shortcuts I was asking about and regularly use, but yes I suppose I will have to start using those instead.

I was talking about the below as per first post

Alt+F and then S to save
Alt+F and then C to close
Alt+F and then O to open

Which are clearly correct (mostly) in older versions of H&M just not in newer versions.

handm.png