Cross reference to section number

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Martin Smit

Cross reference to section number

Unread post by Martin Smit »

Hello,

I'm pretty new to Help&Manual and, we are using Help&Manual mainly as an editor to create pdf documents for print. The main two issues I run into are, creating cross references to a section number (e.g §2.2, page 23), and the import of EPS files.
- I did see an option to create a cross ref. to a page number, but this is not very usable for print. Did I overlooked the option to create a cross ref. to a section number? Or can this be done by scripting?
- As we have a huge amount of EPS files (which are (not all) suitable to be converted to SVG) it would be very helpful if the import of EPS-files would be possible. Is this already somewhere on the roadmap, or be considered to have it on the roadmap? The use of vector graphics would increase the overall look-and-feel and therefore the quality of our documentation.

Thanks for your cooperation and information.

Greetings,
Martin
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Cross reference to section number

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Martin,

EPS files can't be imported, sorry about that. You'll need to convert them to a format that is supported.

Cross-references -- i.e. links -- don't work quite the way you imagine in Help+Manual. You can't link to a specific chapter number, as the number is unknown before you publish the PDF. You can link to a specific topic, and also to an anchor in the topic if you set the anchor in advance. See here on how to do that:

https://www.helpandmanual.com/help/hm_w ... chors.html

You can link to a page number in PDF with "page referrers", but that is guesswork because the page numbers are also unknown until you publish, so it's very likely that any link to a specific page number will be wrong in your actual output, so it's much better to link to a topic and/or anchor:

https://www.helpandmanual.com/help/hm_w ... s_pdf.html

In PDF you can also opt to have the page number of the target you are linking to displayed in a little icon directly after the link, known as a "page referrer". See the "page references" section on this page:

https://www.helpandmanual.com/help/hm_w ... rting.html
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Martin Smit

Unread post by Martin Smit »

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the reply. Reading from your answer, I assume that this is not on any road-map either? Especially the cross ref. would be an added value when it comes to "reader-friendliness".
(Meaning, it would be a nice-to-have, as we use mainly the pdf output for print.)

Greetings,

Martin
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Martin Smit wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:49 pm Thanks for the reply. Reading from your answer, I assume that this is not on any road-map either? Especially the cross ref. would be an added value when it comes to "reader-friendliness".
I can't say that it would never become available, but it would require a fundamental change in the way Help+Manual references things, so it wouldn't be a short-term change. :?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.