TOC title repeats on next page

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Metamonomous

TOC title repeats on next page

Unread post by Metamonomous »

If I understand the HPM help file correctly, the Title band in the TOC page of a template should only appear once, but my title repeats on multiple pages of the TOC. Is there a way to turn that off? TOC items overlap with the words "Table of Contents," making them illegible.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: TOC title repeats on next page

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Meta Mono Mouse,

I think you may have misunderstood something here. There is no "title band" in the TOC section of the PDF template. The first band is the Top Level Entry, and that is for the titles of top-level topics. It also isn't repeated on every page, it is just used within the TOC for top-level topics. I think you may be thinking that the header at the top of the page is the "title band", but that is just the repeating header for every page.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Metamonomous

Hmm, then why is there a band in the template called "Title" above the Top Level band? And as a follow-up, where is the setting for the "Table of Contents" title?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Metamonomous wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:11 pm Hmm, then why is there a band in the template called "Title" above the Top Level band? And as a follow-up, where is the setting for the "Table of
That is the Table of Contents template in your screenshot. The title band there is the title displayed at the beginning of the table of contents, at the top of the page. The other bands are all there so that you can define the formatting of the headings for each table of contents level separately -- they will all have different numbering, and possibly also smaller and/or different font settings for the lower-level headings.

The Topics template section doesn't have a title header because it only defines the topic pages in the flow of the PDF document. There too, you have separate bands for each level of heading for different formatting, numbering etc. Each of those is the "title" for the topic on that level.
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Metamonomous

Right, I'm only concerned with the TOC tab of the template for now.

In my screenshot, the Title band has no text in it, but in the PDF output, the table of contents has a title, "Table of Contents." So myabe my question is, where does that "Table of Contents" text come from (is it the PDF Bookmark Text?), and more importantly, how do I change the font etc. of that "Table of Contents" text?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Metamonomous wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:22 pm In my screenshot, the Title band has no text in it, but in the PDF output, the table of contents has a title, "Table of Contents."
If you're not referring to the page header at the top of the page, that means that you're not publishing with the template shown in your screenshot. In the Publish screen, click on the Select Print Manual Template bar, then use the small "Open Skin..." entry and navigate explicitly to the skin copy that you edited.
Regards,

Private support:
Metamonomous

Just to make sure I'm using the correct template, I added a "TEST" text box into the Title band, as as you can see, it appears in the PDF output.
But where is that "Table of Contents" text coming from?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Metamonomous wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:43 pm Just to make sure I'm using the correct template, I added a "TEST" text box into the Title band, as as you can see, it appears in the PDF output.
But where is that "Table of Contents" text coming from?
That's bizarre. Please mail me your .mnl file at support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @) and we'll look into it.
Regards,

Private support:
Metamonomous

Will do, thanks.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Thanks for the template. The problem here is a little weird, and is probably left over from a version of the template edited in an earlier version of Help+Manual. The text object with the Table of Contents text is there, but not visible. Here's how to get rid of it:

1) Open the template in Manual Designer. Don't do any other editing. Go straight to the Table of Contents section, then select Select Object in the Edit menu. The first item on the list is the hidden text object. Select it in the menu.

2) The bounding box but not the contents of the selected hidden element should now be visible. Even if it isn't, press DELETE and save the template and that should solve the problem.

The Select Object tool is very useful for finding orphaned items like this, and for selecting items that are hidden or covered by other elements.
Regards,

Private support: