Cannot Hide Topic Header

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

DNH

Cannot Hide Topic Header

Unread post by DNH »

Hello,

I am using Help & Manual 7.5.4, and my skin file is a customized V4 Modern Standard.

I am outputting my project as WebHelp and want to hide the topic header ("Project Header 1" in ex) in index.html only, because we want to use a page title ("Page Heading" in image) further down on the page.
HeaderIssue1.jpg
I thought all I have to do is go to the topic's option menu, and deselect the "Topic has a separate header" option, which I did.
HeaderIssue2.jpg
However, when I generate the WebHelp again it is still there (it actually uses the title tag in place of the topic header).
HeaderIssue3.jpg
As I a test, I even deleted the text in title tag field, and then it was auto replaced by the TOC topic ("Project Topic 1").

I hope you can tell me what I am doing wrong. I am sure it is simple as usual.

Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Cannot Hide Topic Header

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Dave,

This depends on the skin. The skin layout you are using depends on the topic header being there and it will not eliminate it, because if it did nothing would work correctly. If you turn the header off in the project the skin will see that and will rebuild the header from the topic title in the TOC. This can't be changed. Sorry about that, but that's how this works.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
DNH

Unread post by DNH »

Thanks Tim. I'm just surprised even leaving the topic title blank is replaced with other text.

The work around (which H&M somehow did by itself at first) is to just put the page content in the topic header. I'll see if this causes any problems.

Dave
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

DNH wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:03 am Thanks Tim. I'm just surprised even leaving the topic title blank is replaced with other text.

That's not "other text", it's the title of the topic in the table of contents, and in the Title Tag, which you can find in the Topic Options.
The work around (which H&M somehow did by itself at first) is to just put the page content in the topic header. I'll see if this causes any problems.
What the what now?! :shock: The header is just for a short title, topic content has no business there. What are you trying to achieve here? If you just want a chapter node without content then right-click on the topic in the table of contents and use the "Convert to chapter without text" option. However, we generally recommend not using chapters without text. They create confusing navigation for the user and they will also prevent you from being able to publish to eBooks (Kindle and ePub), where they are not allowed by the eBook formats.

Basically: Every TOC entry should have an associated topic and every topic should have a header.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.