Avoiding page break between level-I and level-II headings

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Technical Tom

Avoiding page break between level-I and level-II headings

Unread post by Technical Tom »

I am working on a document with three hierarchical levels.

In Print Manual Designer, I have configured level-I and level-II headings to start on a new page.

However, this results in a page break between a level-I heading and its first level-II heading, leaving the level-I heading alone on a page.

Instead, I would like them to stick together, like this:
heading-1-2.PNG

Is there a way to achieve this without resorting to manual page breaks where wanted?
xxx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Avoiding page break between level-I and level-II headings

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Tom,

Unfortunately, this is an "I'd like to take a shower without getting wet" situation, because the level page break settings apply for all the topics on that level. However, the real problem here is that you are using chapters without text for your level 1 topics. These are still supported, but we try to discourage them for two reasons: They create a confusing navigation experience in electronic formats (WebHelp, CHM, eWriter), and they are actively forbidden in eBooks (ePub, Kindle).

If your entire structure is based on having chapters without text for all level 1 chapter topics, you can solve this problem easily by changing them to chapters with text and putting the contents of the first level 2 topic in that chapter in the level 1 topic, with a title heading at the beginning of the body of the topic.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.