New tag view between Editor and XML?

Nothing is perfect! This is where you can post your ideas and wishes for functions you'd like to see in Help & Manual. Current version only please (H&M7).

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

michal_novomesky

New tag view between Editor and XML?

Unread post by michal_novomesky »

It is useful to have an option to view tags and its styleclasses directly in the Editor view than switching to the XML view for each topic to detect issues. Including breadcrumbs, where I am in the XML code.

For example, the string inside the <li> element can't be correctly localized:

Code: Select all

<li styleclass="Normal List">Detection engine<text styleclass="WrongStyleClass"> updates</text></li>
A good example of this feature in Oxygen XML Editor:
https://www.oxygenxml.com/img/tei_editor.png
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: New tag view between Editor and XML?

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Michal,

Unfortunately, your screenshot from Oxygen has such low resolution that it's not possible to read any of the text or know what might be going on there. However, you can absolutely localize the contents of list elements, since the <li> tag is just as much a tag as a <text> tag or a <para> tag, and takes on the function of a <para> tag. Also, the <text> tags are only not used if you have translation-friendly Tidy XML feature turned on in Configuration > Common Properties > Misc. This mode reduces the number of XML tags to an absolute minimum to make translation easier. If you prefer to have the <text> tags inside the <li> tags for any reason, you can reactivate them by turning Tidy XML off.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
michal_novomesky

Unread post by michal_novomesky »

Hi Tim,

this is not about TidyXML. We are already using it.

By default, when text and paragraph are in the same stylesheet, <text> elements are not present.
The problem happens that sometimes the author don't see the redundant text elements in the Editor view, when there's something copied with a different styleclass or from Word (with the same/similar look). The XML view is too complex and hard to navigate in case of a very long topic.

This is better screenshot, sorry for the previous one:
https://static.javatpoint.com/tutorial/ ... itor15.png
Funcionality: https://www.oxygenxml.com/doc/versions/ ... arkup.html
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Michal,

Ah, now I see what you mean -- you'd like to have the same kind of graphical tag view as in Oxygen. I'll pass the request on, but I suspect that won't be coming any time soon, I'm afraid. :?

That being said, text imported from Word is notorious for generating way too many tags. This applies particularly if the Word text is formatted manually instead of using styles in a disciplined manner. If you look in the XML then you'll see a horror show -- up to and over 90% of the content is tags. There are generally two ways to deal with this. Either always select the text after importing and apply a style to reset it properly, or use the Normalize Styles tool in the Premium Pack Toolbox power tools utility, which allows you to integrate or eliminate spurious formatting and styles like that globally.

NormalizeStyles.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.