How can I create a pre-opened search prompt & textbox?

This forum is for discussions on the Help & Manual Premium Pack and the Premium Pack Toolbox configuration utility introduced with Premium Pack 3

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Dave Gehman

How can I create a pre-opened search prompt & textbox?

Unread post by Dave Gehman »

Skin: edited Modern_Standard_Very_Plain_WebHelp.hmskin

We have a request to change the look and functionality of the search function. Right now, the user sees the following "Contents Index Search" combo at the top of the TOC/tree:

When the user clicks on "Search," the following prompt and text input box open:

How can we change the TOC top to something like the following?

The idea is to have the "Search" caption leading to an already-open text input box.

I think the real question is, where does the code for the "Contents Index Search" combo exist, and how can I edit it?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: How can I create a pre-opened search prompt & textbox?

Unread post by Tim Green »

Dave Gehman wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 3:25 pm The idea is to have the "Search" caption leading to an already-open text input box.
I think the real question is, where does the code for the "Contents Index Search" combo exist, and how can I edit it?
That would be a major rewrite of the skin, it's not realistic to just hack into it to get it at the moment. However, the next major version of the Premium Pack is going to include a new advanced flexible skin that will have exactly that functionality. The search entry field is included directly at the top of the TOC and as soon as you click in it you get the search pane.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Dave Gehman

Re: How can I create a pre-opened search prompt & textbox?

Unread post by Dave Gehman »

Looking forward to the new skin -- as long as overall, it can be configured to be really clean, minimalistic...