Undoing Topic deletion

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Ga Bowen

Undoing Topic deletion

Unread post by Ga Bowen »

Occasionally I accidently delete a topic. This is usually because I think I'm inside one, but I've not clicked it properly and it is actual fact still selected in Project Explorer.

There appears to be no undo command here, so I have to close and lose any unsaved changes.

It doesn't happen often, but when it does, it's immensely frustrating.

Can we have an undo deleted Topic function, please?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Undoing Topic deletion

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Gareth,

This is on the list, but apparently it's more involved than one would think. If you're working in uncompressed HMXP (and you should be for all ongoing work) you can fix it like this without losing changes:
  1. Leaving HM exactly as it is, switch to Windows Explorere and copy the deleted topic file in the \Topics folder to another folder.
  2. Return to HM and save, which will delete the topic file.
  3. Copy the deleted file back to the \Topics folder.
  4. Return to HM, go to Project Files > Topic Files, where you will now find the topic, and drag it into the TOC to create a TOC entry for it. Alternatively you can also just use the Add Topic tool and then choose the TOC Link option and select the ID of the topic file.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tim Frost

Unread post by Tim Frost »

Or install "AJC Active Backup", point it to your H&M topics folder(s), and relax, knowing that you can always retrace your steps.
Ga Bowen

Unread post by Ga Bowen »

Thanks, Tim.

I have used this technique before. H+M does a good job of backing up your work.

However, in most instances of Topic deletion, it's because I'm working just replacing certain images or formatting across multiple topics, so I lose track of what has actually been deleted, because I'm using the search/Find & Replace function to navigate. If that makes any sense at all. :lol:

AJC looks good, I think I'll test it anyway, but it's of no use here as nothing has actually been deleted; just the link/reference to a Topic within H+M.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Ga Bowen wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 10:55 am AJC looks good, I think I'll test it anyway, but it's of no use here as nothing has actually been deleted; just the link/reference to a Topic within H+M.
If you have AJC you can go through with the deletion by saving your project. Then you can go into the AJC archive and restore the file(s) that got deleted. Here too, it's best to close the project in HM before doing that.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.