H&M Index Search not working with Edge

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Linda Polinski

H&M Index Search not working with Edge

Unread post by Linda Polinski »

We see that the Index search is not working with Edge. Also, the letters do not link to the list anymore if we use Edge. Is there a way to remedy this? Thanks.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: H&M Index Search not working with Edge

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Linda,

We need some more information to be able to answer your question here: First of all, which skin type are you using? There are keyword index search features in both the standard skins included with Help+Manual and those in the Premium Pack add-on, and they work differently. Also, have you edited the code of the skin in any way? I just re-tested all the skins with index search in Edge and everything is working fine.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Linda Polinski

Thanks, Tim. We are using the skin type sky_blue_horiz_v1.64.hmskin. This is the same one we have been using since we starting using Help and Manual for the past 4-5 years. We are using H&M version 7.5.4 build 4760.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Linda Polinski wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:49 pm Thanks, Tim. We are using the skin type sky_blue_horiz_v1.64.hmskin. This is the same one we have been using since we starting using Help and Manual for the past 4-5 years. We are using H&M version 7.5.4 build 4760.
That skin is badly out of date and is really only for Internet Explorer 6. It still uses the ancient, deprecated frameset structure and it is quite possible that Edge and other modern browsers have problems with it. It should really not be used any more. You either need to use one of the current standard skins included with Help+Manual, or you can upgrade to the current 4.4 version of the Premium Pack.
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Linda Polinski

Thanks, Tim. I really appreciate your help.
WrightStuff

Unread post by WrightStuff »

I am also having problems with Search. It was working but since I rebuilt it has stopped. We are using custom templates and skins. Should I swap them for another? What should I use?
Stephen Thompson
Technical Writer
Tim Green
Site Admin

WrightStuff wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:40 am I am also having problems with Search. It was working but since I rebuilt it has stopped. We are using custom templates and skins. Should I swap them for another? What should I use?
Customized templates are a possible cause of the problem. To test this, publish with the unedited copy of the skin. If you no longer experience the issue, it means that some edit damaged the skin. It's always best to make changes in small steps and test carefully after each change. Otherwise, it can be difficult to locate the cause of the error. However, you can try activating the F12 developer console in Chrome, Edge or Firefox to see if there are any errors flagged.

If the search problems persist with an unedited skin the cause may be problems with permissions on your output folder preventing the writing of all the necessary, search engine files. Try publishing to a local folder in your own Documents directory, where you always have full write permissions.

You can use pretty much any skin you like. When customizing, we recommend that you stay with the basic design of the skin and only make minor changes, like replacing logos or changing some colors. If you want a "different" skin you're not going to be able to achieve that by changing the code of an existing one.
Regards,

Private support:
WrightStuff

Unread post by WrightStuff »

I've tried changing the skin but no joy, this is the compiler output which seems to show that the Files aren't being indexed. I've checked the path and the files are there ...any ideas?

Generating Full-text Search Index...
Wrensoft Zoom Search Engine [Core Engine] Version 7.0.1022b (Build: Custom for EC Software)
Core Engine: Version 7.0.1022b (Build: Custom for EC Software) on Windows 8 [Professional Edition]
Core engine IPC ready.
Start indexing (offline mode) at Thu Sep 15 07:58:35 2022
No files found to index in c:\users\p50071601\onedrive - capita\documents\im\aim13\aim v13\html
Check that the path exists and that files satisfies configuration settings
INDEX SUMMARY
Files indexed: 0
Files skipped: 0
Files filtered: 0
Unique words found: 194
Variant words found: 0
Total words found: 194
Errors: 0
Total bytes scanned/downloaded: 0
File extensions:
Stephen Thompson
Technical Writer
Tim Green
Site Admin

Your search index is not being generated. Make sure that the output file you set in the Publish screen is "index.html". Also, check that your topic file extension is .htm or .html, which you can set in Configuration > Publishing Options > WebHelp > HTML Export Options.
No files found to index in c:\users\p50071601\onedrive
You are using OneDrive. Don't use it as an output folder or, even worse, as a place to edit your Help+Manual projects. If you edit HM projects in a OneDrive or other managed cloud folder you are likely to end up with a mess, with multiple different versions of your topics, each with a different editing status. Good luck trying to piece together the actual current version when that happens. :?

Similarly, don't export to a managed cloud folder. Export to a local folder inside your own regular Documents directory (NOT the OneDrive "Documents" directory, which is intentionally made to look like your real Documents directory to trick you into using it), and make sure that it is empty before you start. The easiest way to do this is to tick the option in the Publish screen to delete all the files in the output folder before publishing -- but only use that if the folder has no important files in it and no sub-folders, as everything will be deleted.
Regards,

Private support: