Swagger to HM anyone?

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Gerold Krommer

Swagger to HM anyone?

Unread post by Gerold Krommer »

Hi,

several times over the last years I had to document APIs or configurations. Most of this could have been generated automatically (much like sandcastle).
More than once I felt the urgent desire for a 'plugin' mechanism that - at a certain point in the document - would be called and return conformant H&M XML to be dynamically (at - or just before - build time) included.

Regardless how disciplined you are, somebody changes the configuration or API behind your back and - voila - the documentation is wrong.

Now I know this cannot be done overnight.... my current problem is documenting OpenAPI (aka swagger) definitions to the kind of standard look as attached. Has anyone had a similar task? Even manually crafting a lookalike as snippets is quite some work.

Thanks,
/gerold
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gerold Krommer

Re: Swagger to HM anyone?

Hm, I see this is really a hot topic :roll:

Any suggestion how this can be mimicked with reasonable effort?

Thanks,

Gerold
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Gerold Krommer wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:55 am Any suggestion how this can be mimicked with reasonable effort?
It could be mimicked, but not with "reasonable effort". It requires a very large amount of both custom CSS and dynamic scripting to handle the toggle areas, and you would also need a way to mark it up in the Help+Manual editor to use that CSSs and scripting. It would be a serious development project, and it would only work in WebHelp, eWriter and CHM. :?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Gerold Krommer

Thanks Tim, I was afraid so :vconfused: