Numbered list in a table is discontinued

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

jjacquelin

Numbered list in a table is discontinued

Unread post by jjacquelin »

Hi,

I want to make a continued numbered list in a table (1 row for images and 1 row for steps) with each step in a different cell.
The issue is that the numbering restart in each cell. I tried changing the list IDs in the XML (it works) but if I leave and go back to the topic, the numbering goes back to its discontinued state.

See attached screenshot.

Using tables for step-by-step procedures is something we do a lot in my company. We work mostly on InDesign, but we are planning on moving all our documentation to HM7. So this is quite a problem.

Does anyone have a solution?
Thank you in advance for your help! :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Numbered list in a table is discontinued

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Jacqueline,

You can't continue lists from one table cell to another. This is because each table cell is actually a separate virtual document, so it would be like trying to continue a list from one topic to the next. This is an absolute restriction, unfortunately. There is no way around it except manual numbering.

Caution: It may seem to work when you create a list like this initially, but it will fail mostly when you leave the topic and return to it.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.