heading length in PDF

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

BjoernThiele

heading length in PDF

Unread post by BjoernThiele »

Hi there,
in my PDF manuals paragraph headings that are a bit longer run out of the page margin. How can I get them to use line breaks? (Might applay to other headings, too. In my case it is a main paragraph.)
regards Björn
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: heading length in PDF

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Björn,

This will be because of your word wrap setting. If the heading is in the body of your topic check the paragraph and/or style settings and make sure that word wrap is on. If it is in the main topic heading, check the Topics section in your PDF template and make sure that the text objects for the headers have word wrap on and that the anchors are set to left, top and right.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
BjoernThiele

Unread post by BjoernThiele »

Thanks, line breaks in headings work fine now on paragraph and topic pages. Only place where word wrap does not work yet, is in TOC. Long headings run through the page number there. (Word wrap is turned on in the styles of all headings levels.)
How can I fix that?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

BjoernThiele wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:01 am Only place where word wrap does not work yet, is in TOC. Long headings run through the page number there. (Word wrap is turned on in the styles of all headings levels.)
If it's only running through the page number it means that you are using an older PDF template with separate text objects for the title and page number variables, and it has been incorrectly configured with the text objects overlapping. Instead, use a single text object with an automatic dot leader:

Set the Alignment: of the text objectd to "Justified / Fill".
Enter the heading and page number variables like this:

Code: Select all

<%HEADING2%> ........ <%BEGINPAGE2%>
At least five dots with a single space before and after the dots, between the variables. See Designing a Template > Table of Contents in the Manual Designer help for full details.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.