The requested operation cannot be performed on a file with a user-mapped section open

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

azeotech

The requested operation cannot be performed on a file with a user-mapped section open

Unread post by azeotech »

I am getting the following error when I go to save my project, usually after saving it one or two times already (I like to save often):

"The requested operation cannot be performed on a file with a user-mapped section open."

It will then not let me save to the same file and I have to save to a new file name. Eventually (rather rapidly in fact), that new file name will do the same thing, so basically every few saves I have to change file names.

A quick google search enhance my suspicions that a file handle or similar is probably not being properly closed by H&M, thus leaving the file unable to be written to. Of course I could be wrong, but the problem is definitely specific to H&M. This is a new problem since I updated to H&M 8 from H&M 4. I am running the latest 8.4.4 Build 5960 on Windows 10.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: The requested operation cannot be performed on a file with a user-mapped section open

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Matt,

We've never seen this error and I can only repeat what I wrote to you when you sent us the same question by email:

My guess is that some other background program is interfering with the project files while you are working and taking exclusive control of them for some operation it wants to perform. This could be an automatic backup program, a particularly aggressive third-party antivirus system, a misconfigured version control system or even malware performing some operation on your computer.

Here are some things you can try:
  • If the project folder is a managed cloud folder for OneDrive, Dropbox, Google Drive or any other cloud folder system, move your project out of it immediately. NEVER try to edit Help+Manual projects in managed cloud folders. They will seriously mangle your projects.
  • If the path you are storing your project on is on a mapped drive (i.e. a network or other remote drive), try moving your project to a local folder in your own Documents directory.
  • If you have a third-party antivirus system installed, disable it temporarily, or exclude your project folders from its pernicious activity.
  • If you have any automatic backup, cleanup or other system maintenance software running, turn them off temporarily.
  • If you have version control set up for your project, disable it or move your project to a folder that is not under version control.
  • If all this fails, download Malware Bytes and run a complete security scan of your computer.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
azeotech

Re: The requested operation cannot be performed on a file with a user-mapped section open

Sorry. Your email response went to spam so I never saw it.

I can't imagine that there is an external influence as it would almost certainly affect everything else I do on the system. This seems to only affect H&M project files. But at the same time, if you have not had any other reports that indicates there is something going on on my side. I just wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that it is a rather large project file created in H&M 4 that was migrated up to 8?

I do not use cloud folder systems.
The file is stored on the local C drive.
I do not run 3rd party antivirus.
Automatic backup is commercial level Acronis and only runs in the middle of the night.
Version control is SVN so doesn't affect whole folders, and once I had saved to a second file name it is no longer under version control
I am not going to install Malware Bytes as that would just be another piece of software that might cause issues, if not with this, then something else. I will, however, have Windows do a full scan.

I will also try and save to a different drive. I also have H&M installed on my laptop so I can work on it while travelling and will see if it shows the same behavior. That laptop is completely clean and only has visual studio, an SVN client and H&M installed and is only ever plugged into the corporate network.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Matt,

We'll need to discuss this in detail so please return to email and make sure that you can receive our mails from support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @).
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
azeotech

No problem. Thank you.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Note: This was most likely caused by using Subversion set to Lock-Modify-Unlock instead of leaving it at the default Copy-Modify-Merge setting. If a version control system or anything else locks project files it is impossible for Help+Manual to edit them because -- well, because they are locked. 8)
Regards,

Private support: