Log now showing missing image names

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Ed Dressel

Log now showing missing image names

Unread post by Ed Dressel »

I do my build process via command line, having 8 different outputs of the same H&M file. In my .INI files, I have the following line:

L=..\Logs\<file name>.log

And the file is being geneated.

I wanted to be sure I didn't delete any used images by mistake, so to test, I deleted a few images I know are being used. I re-ran the build process, and see that the log file has been regenerated, but it doesn't have any notations about missing image files. Its contents are pretty basic:

Help+Manual command line compiler version 8.4.4 build 5960
Compiling ..\Help Files\<file name>.hmxp

Do you know why it isn't listing missing file names? What should I look at?

Thanks,

Ed Dressel
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Log now showing missing image names

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Ed,

Check your settings for compiler messages in View > Program Options > Compilers. If you want maximum information both Hints and Warnings should be activated, in addition to Errors.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Ed Dressel

Thank you. I changed the settings (they were all unchecked), exited H&M, and recompiled from the command line. I am getting more detail, but I don't get any information about missing images. I opened the PDF and there are images missing.

Any suggestions?

Ed Dressel
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Ed,

I just checked on this: For technical reasons, missing images aren't currently reported in PDF or Word output. I'm not sure about the precise reasons for this, but apparently they are harder to locate than in HTML output. If you want to check for missing images you can do this with the Report tool (full report) or by quickly publishing to an HTML-based format. Sorry about that... :?
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Ed Dressel

Thanks... that kinda helps. I have 8 different builds and while +90% is the same, sometimes it is not. I even use PDF and HTML compiler directives, so it isn't going to have the same results.

I hope this is considered a bug and can be fixed soon.

Much appreciated.

Ed Dressel
Ed Dressel

I was hoping for a response, but should have phrased it as a question: is this considered a bug? will it get attention soon?

Thanks,

Ed Dressel
Tim Green
Site Admin

Ed Dressel wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:22 pm I was hoping for a response, but should have phrased it as a question: is this considered a bug? will it get attention soon?
Sorry, I should have replied to this. It's not considered a bug. It's an intentional technical restriction due to the difficulty of identifying missing images in Word and PDF, which the developers say is much harder in those formats than in HTML output. It's on the ToDo list for inclusion at a future date, but I'm afraid I can't say when that will be. :?
Regards,

Private support: