eWriter in Modular Projects

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

mbgg

eWriter in Modular Projects

Unread post by mbgg »

Hi -
More problems ..... :(
I have a "master" project which includes several other projects added with the "Include help project" option (merge content on publishing).
When I create the CHM file all of the included 'subprojects' are displayed correctly in the TOC.
But when I create the .ewriter file, most (but not all) of the included subprojects are missing in the TOC !
:frustration:
Michael

Version 7.5.4 - Build 4760
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: eWriter in Modular Projects

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Michael,

I've split this off into a new topic because it's a new question. Please don't tack new questions onto existing threads, as it makes the forum less accessible. :)
mbgg wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:56 am I have a "master" project which includes several other projects added with the "Include help project" option (merge content on publishing).
When I create the CHM file all of the included 'subprojects' are displayed correctly in the TOC.
But when I create the .ewriter file, most (but not all) of the included subprojects are missing in the TOC !
How are the include options set on those projects? For eWriter you have to set either "All Builds" or both WebHelp and eBooks, because it is effectively both.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
mbgg

Unread post by mbgg »

All included projects are "Builds: all". I publish a CHM file and immediately afterwards publish an eWriter file (without making any changes) and see different TofCs.
Michael

Tim Green
Site Admin

mbgg wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:55 am All included projects are "Builds: all". I publish a CHM file and immediately afterwards publish an eWriter file (without making any changes) and see different TofCs.
In what way different? Are entire modules missing or is it individual topics and/or chapters?
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
mbgg

Unread post by mbgg »

You can see the difference in these screen captures:
HandM1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael

Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Michael,

OK, so entire projects are missing. Do you still get the same result if you publish to eWriter without a skin, or with one of the standard WebHelp skins included with Help+Manual?
Regards,

Private support:
mbgg

Unread post by mbgg »

This is the skin I selected. Do you want me to try something else?
HandM2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael

Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Michael,

That could easily be the problem: The "two-frame classic" skins are no longer included with Help+Manual at all because they use a very old, deprecated frameset layout. They are basically only for Internet Explorer 6. Try one of the current WebHelp skins with the word responsive in its name.
Regards,

Private support:
mbgg

Unread post by mbgg »

I chose "..Responsive, Blue ..." ; there was no change to the ToC.
Michael

Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Michael,
mbgg wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:16 pm I chose "..Responsive, Blue ..." ; there was no change to the ToC.
OK. Is it possible that you have duplicate topic IDs across the projects that you are combining? If that is the case then you can't combine them because they will overwrite each other. For example, if two projects have a topic with the ID "Introduction" that won't work.

Also try opening the projects that are not getting included on their own and publishing them to eWriter. Does that work?

Also make sure that there are no include options INSIDE the projects that are preventing their topics and chapters from being exported to eWriter.
Regards,

Private support:
mbgg

Unread post by mbgg »

I published one of the missing subprojects separately and it was created correctly.
Wouldn't duplicate topic IDs similarly affect the CHM file?
Michael

Tim Green
Site Admin

mbgg wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:40 pm I published one of the missing subprojects separately and it was created correctly.
OK, thanks.
mbgg wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:40 pm Wouldn't duplicate topic IDs similarly affect the CHM file?
It might not show up until you start browsing and notice that there are duplicate topics instead of different ones, or error messages. What you describe shouldn't really be possible, so I'm really not at all sure how you've managed to configure your system to get this result. I'm just trying to cover all the possibilities. 8)

I'm afraid we're not going to be able to analyze this without a copy of the entire help system. Please pack all the projects in a zip and send me a download link at support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @) and I'll test it out for you.
Regards,

Private support:
mbgg

Unread post by mbgg »

Thank you. First I will check for duplicate names.
It may take a while to organize the files and send them because I only work part-time now and I am very busy this month.
Michael

Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Michael,

After seeing the projects the reason for the exclusion is clear. The "missing" modules are being excluded correctly, because they are set to only be included in PDF and CHM output:
ewriter_exclusions.png
Regards,

Private support: