Page breaks not appearing in PDF

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

ingrid hughes

Page breaks not appearing in PDF

Unread post by ingrid hughes »

Hi there,

I'm testing a trial version of H&M 8, version 8.4.4 build 5960 to determine if it will work for my company.

Sometimes, though not always, when I insert a page break, the line indicating a page break appears in the working document but not in the pdf. Also, when I look at the page break in the working document, I would expect that after inserting it, the remove selected page break checkbox should be active, but it is not. Any ideas?

Ingrid
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Page breaks not appearing in PDF

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Ingrid,

The most common reason for page breaks not working is if you insert them directly after an IF or END conditional tag. The trick is to insert at least one space between the break and the tag, otherwise the tag suppresses the break.

Another possible cause is if you are inserting a manual break for the entire topic, i.e. so that the entire topic starts on a new page. Then the break should be attached to the very first paragraph in the body of the topic, with no other paragraph before it -- not in the header box and not at the end of the previous topic.
Also, when I look at the page break in the working document, I would expect that after inserting it, the remove selected page break checkbox should be active, but it is not. Any ideas?
Page breaks are an attribute of the paragraph before which the break occurs. For that option to be active, click in the paragraph above which the break line appears and then select the break tool. :)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
ingrid hughes

Unread post by ingrid hughes »

I am trying to insert a manual break before text only, not the entire topic.

This is where I want the page break:
HM_1.png
And this is the result in the pdf:
HM_2.png
Is it possible that you can't put a page break before a bullet point? I was trying various things to make this work and when I removed the bullet, the text broke where I wanted it to.

And if that's the case, why?

Ingrid
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Ingrid,

Lists are a tricky subject in some situations. Try putting your break in an empty paragraph before the list. If you need it to take up less space, set the font size of the empty paragraph to just 5 points or something like that.
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
BjoernThiele

Unread post by BjoernThiele »

I have a similar issue, now with H+M 9.0.3 and without any lists in my topics. Hard page breaks simply don't show any effect at all in PDFs. I tried adding an empty topic with just the page break but that did not work either. any ideas?
Tim Green
Site Admin

BjoernThiele wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:20 pm I have a similar issue, now with H+M 9.0.3 and without any lists in my topics. Hard page breaks simply don't show any effect at all in PDFs. I tried adding an empty topic with just the page break but that did not work either. any ideas?
Where are you adding the break? If you want a full topic to break, you need to add the break right at the beginning of the body of the topic. Don't add it at the end of the previous topic, that will sometimes not work. Most of the time, you will also want to use automatic page breaks configured in the PDF template instead.

You can define automatic page breaks for all topic levels in your PDFs by editing the print manual template (see the PDF & Printed Manuals chapter in the help for details on how to edit the template). Select the Topics section of the template and then select Pages > Page Options (or double-click on an empty section of the page). You can then define the page break options separately for each level in the table at the bottom of the page.

Note 1: The page break setting for "Section starts..." at the top of the dialog is only for the beginning of the entire Topics section, i.e. for the very first topic in the project.

Note 2: When you set page breaks for odd pages you must also make sure that you turn off the option "Ignore blank pages in PDF" in your PDF project properties (Project Explorer > Configuration > Publishing Options > PDF > PDF Layout). When this option is on all blank pages will be suppressed and it often won't be possible for topics to start on odd pages.
Regards,

Private support:
BjoernThiele

Unread post by BjoernThiele »

I added the break before the first character of my topic but with a snippet, that we use for notices. Maybe that was the issue. I now made sure to move the cursor all the way out of the snippet first, now it works.
Anyway, I expected the option "Entire topic must begin on a new page" to actually control the entire topic. Apparently it only does if I move the break to the very first character of a topic. If I don't, it does not seem to work at all. If I do, the result is the same as it would have been, if I had selected "Text must begin a new page (at this position)" instead, isn't it? Is this a bug?
Tim Green
Site Admin

BjoernThiele wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:00 pm Anyway, I expected the option "Entire topic must begin on a new page" to actually control the entire topic. Apparently it only does if I move the break to the very first character of a topic. If I don't, it does not seem to work at all. If I do, the result is the same as it would have been, if I had selected "Text must begin a new page (at this position)" instead, isn't it? Is this a bug?
Not exactly a bug, more a user interface element that needs to be improved. If you use the "entire topic" option you do also need to have the page break at the beginning of the topic, and that isn't clear enough. :?
Regards,

Private support: