8.4.4 Ewriter EXE can not be codesigned

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

LanceRasmussen

8.4.4 Ewriter EXE can not be codesigned

Unread post by LanceRasmussen »

I use FinalBuilder to script actions to build my EXE's, compile and build eWriter help files and PDF's and then installers.

As part of the script, I codesign the EXE's. The installer application (Installshield or Advanced Installer) also can codesign exe's to be installed.

Things were working well until a popup for 8.4.4 update available. I installed and now the CodeSign tool gives an error that it's a bad EXE format and can not codesign the eWriter exe's. After trying a bunch of things, I decided to see what would happen and I reverted Help and Manual 8 to 8.4.3. The generated eWriter EXE's now can be codesigned without error.

This is really strange. I can open the eWriter exe's in Windows with no issue, however the files generated appear to be bad, such as a bad resource or some other issue.

This is pretty critical and for the moment am not able to leverage any future H&M updates until resolved.

I've tested different SignTool.exe tools, but currently use the tool from the MSSDK in C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\bin\10.0.19041.0\x86\Signtool.exe
Gerold Krommer

Re: 8.4.4 Ewriter EXE can not be codesigned

Unread post by Gerold Krommer »

Just out of curiosity I tried this and I can confirm that the newly generated .exe are not signable...

I get

SignTool Error: SignedCode::Sign returned error: 0x800700C1
%1 ist keine zulassige Win32-Anwendung.
SignTool Error: An error occurred while attempting to sign: ELAR_Dossier_Help.exe

Number of errors: 1

/Gerold
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Gerold,

The eViewer application used has been updated with version 8.4.4 but I haven't heard about signing problems up to now. Developers will look into it and we'll get back to you on it. :?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Gerold Krommer

Unread post by Gerold Krommer »

Hi Tim,

it is not the viewer per se (that can be signed), but the .exe that are generated. They cannot be signed...

Kind regards,

/Gerold
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Gerold Krommer wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:58 am it is not the viewer per se (that can be signed), but the .exe that are generated. They cannot be signed...
Yes, but it's still the viewer: The generated EXE is really just the viewer executable with the data added.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.