Help+Manual 8.5 - Snagit and eWriter 3 for MacOS

The latest news, information and updates.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Tim Green
Site Admin

Help+Manual 8.5 - Snagit and eWriter 3 for MacOS

Unread post by Tim Green »

We are happy to announce the release of Help+Manual 8.5 with direct support for Snagit 2022 screen capture files and the updated eWriter 3.0 viewers, including a viewer for MacOS (both Intel and Apple Silicon Macs). See this blog posting for full details:

https://www.helpandmanual.com/news/2022 ... ewriter-3/

You can download the update here:

https://www.helpandmanual.com/downloads.html?upd
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
3dmotion

Re: Help+Manual 8.5 - Snagit and eWriter 3 for MacOS

Unread post by 3dmotion »

Thank you for supporting SnagIt. It does make things easier.
However, it always seems to shrink the image to 1024x576, which is often not wanted.
Is there any way to suppress this behavior and keep the original size?

Frank
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

That's unknown here. The SnagIt examples that I saw had different dimensions :shock:

A .snagX file is simply a ZIP archive. Please rename the file to ".zip" and open it in Windows Explorer. Inside, you should find a thumbnail.png. Thumbnail seems to be an euphemism, because the thumbnail in my test file is a 32-bit PNG with 1161 x 697 pixel. It is exactly this file, that Help+Manual reads from the archive. Can you check for different screenshots, what's inside?
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH
Frodo Mueseler

Unread post by Frodo Mueseler »

I also like the support for Snagit files. Thanks.
Unfortunately, I have also come across this limit. The images become a maximum of 1024 pixels wide.
I have unzipped the zip file. The thumbnail file has exactly this width (1024) when the original is larger (1655).
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

That's bad news :cry:

I confirm that the latest version of Snagit (22.1.1.21427 from August 4) reduces the size of the internal "thumbnail.png" to a maximum width of 1024 pixel. An older version of Snagit did not do that. My captures from 2022-05-17 contain full-size preview images. However, if such an older capture is edited with the latest version and saved, the thumbnail becomes reduced as well.

So far, I haven't found a way to tweak the settings in Snagit to make it create full-size thumbnails. Neither with the registry options modified directly, nor with the official UI settings in Snagit :|

This is perhaps a question for Techsmith' support, if there is an option whether or not to limit the thumbnail size and if there isn't, to include one. For the time being, SnagX images seem to be limited to a maximum width of 1024 pixels.
Alexander Halser
Gerold Krommer

Unread post by Gerold Krommer »

I looked at the .snagx file and it seems to contain the full fledged png in the form of {Guid}.png.

This seems to be uniqe. I could not find a .snagx with more than one such png.

Maybe use this one?

Kind regards,

/Gerold
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

No. That's the naked screenshot without annotations, remarks, callouts and effects. If your screenshot is that simple, use PNG to save it, not the Snagit format.
Alexander Halser
Gerold Krommer

I opened a ticket with TechSmith and will keep you posted.
Gerold Krommer

So far this ticket is a nightmare. Support is playing dumb, makes you even more appreciate H&M support.

They wanted a video(!) to reproduce the problem... now it is at L2 which asks me for old .snagx to exhibit the original behaviour...

Sometimes I wonder what 'service' means today!

Keep you posted...
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Gerold Krommer wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:16 pm So far this ticket is a nightmare. Support is playing dumb, makes you even more appreciate H&M support.
They wanted a video(!) to reproduce the problem... now it is at L2 which asks me for old .snagx to exhibit the original behaviour...
Sometimes I wonder what 'service' means today!
Keep you posted...
The difference is probably that the support is provided by people not really familiar with the program. They will generally have a check list and if what you bring up isn't on it you're kind of stuck, and getting through to the developers who would know what you are talking about is then difficult. :?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.