Password protection

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

WrightStuff

Password protection

Unread post by WrightStuff »

My company doesn't want to host our help file publically, it wants to protect it's help file with a password screen, is there anything in built in Help and Manual to do this?
Stephen Thompson
Technical Writer
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Password protection

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Wright,

You don't say what documentation format you're using, but my guess is that it's WebHelp on your Web server. There is nothing in HTML pages that can do this. It needs to be done on your server. The simplest way to do this is to add a username and a password to the folder on your Web server in which your WebHelp is stored. This can be done by your system administrator, who should also configure the folder to block all search engines so that your documentation doesn't get listed in public searches. This is very basic protection, since all your users then use the same credentials to access the documentation, and it is generally only a matter of time until they become public knowledge.

If your documentation contains critical information that must be protected against access by anyone outside your user group you need to provide better protection with a user login and authentication system with a user database, so that every user has their own username and password.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.