Fig/Table update in Word (docx)

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Ga Bowen

Fig/Table update in Word (docx)

Unread post by Ga Bowen »

When Publishing to Word, with a Word docx Template, is it possible to configure Figure/Table caption numbers so they will update if other figures/tables are added/removed?

I can't see anything in the Help.

An example file would be useful if you have it.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Fig/Table update in Word (docx)

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Gareth,

The help topic you are looking for is here:
When Publishing to Word, with a Word docx Template, is it possible to configure Figure/Table caption numbers so they will update if other figures/tables are added/removed?
If figure counter variables removed or added in Help+Manual the numbers update automatically the next time you publish. They are not Word numbering variables, however, so you can't edit in Word and expect them to update. Also, even in Help+Manual any references to the figure counters may not be correct if you remove/change/move the counter variables, because there is still a certain amount of manual effort involved in references. This will change with Help+Manual 9 later this Winter, which introduces new Figure Links that do the references and updating automatically.

See here for general information:

https://helpandmanual.com/help/hm_worki ... rsref.html
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Ga Bowen

Unread post by Ga Bowen »

Tim Green wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:42 pm Hi Gareth,

1 The help topic you are looking for is here:
If figure counter variables removed or added in Help+Manual the numbers update automatically the next time you publish. 2 They are not Word numbering variables, however, so you can't edit in Word and expect them to update. Also, even in Help+Manual any references to the figure counters may not be correct if you remove/change/move the counter variables, because there is still a certain amount of manual effort involved in references. This will change with Help+Manual 9 later this Winter, which introduces new Figure Links that do the references and updating automatically.

See here for general information:

https://helpandmanual.com/help/hm_worki ... rsref.html
1 Sorry, did you miss a link?

2 This seems odd considering page numbers and headings all update. It makes the Word document unusable as realistically amendments or changes can not be made. However, I appreciate that's not H+M's problem!

Does anyone know if it's possible to replace all Fig. numbers with an automatic Figure Caption in Word?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Sorry, did you miss a link?
No, I forgot to edit that out. The link was at the bottom of the mail. I'll correct that.
It makes the Word document unusable as realistically amendments or changes can not be made.
HM is designed to make finished documentation, where any changes are made in Help+Manual and re-published. If you need a Word file for ongoing editing you should be working directly in Word, not in HM. :)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.