Incorrect file extensions for WebHelp

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Ingmar Koecher

Incorrect file extensions for WebHelp

Unread post by Ingmar Koecher »

My help file is configured to use the .htm extension for the generated file names. This setting seemed to have worked in the past, since all HTML files have the .htm extension. I see in the documentation that the default is .html, but since I have been using H&M for over a decade this may be a remnant from a much older version.

After switching to the new Modern_Standard_Business_Grey_WebHelp.hmskin skin however, the extension of the generated HTML files is .html. This is a slight issue since our existing content is already indexed with the .htm extension, and switching to .html will, again, cause issues with Google and require us to set manual forwarding.

I already searched through all the options available in the toolbox app to see if something would override the options set in the help file properties, but wasn't able to find anything.

Is there a way to continue to use the .htm extension even with new skin?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Incorrect file extensions for WebHelp

Unread post by Tim Green »

Ingmar Koecher wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:01 pm Is there a way to continue to use the .htm extension even with new skin?
In these skins the entire structure is different. The index.html file is just a topic file like any other -- it's just the default topic. Because of this, all the files must have the same extension, which is set automatically by Help+Manual on the basis of the output file you set. The project setting is ignored, because that could cause conflicgts.

If you set index.html, all the files will have the .html extension. If you need .htm, just set the output file to index.htm. This also works with .php or .asp.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.