Exclude Header (only) from ToC

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Aitch

Exclude Header (only) from ToC

Unread post by Aitch »

Hi all,

I am asking a really silly question, I know, but I've searched the online help, and maybe I'm just not entering the correct term?

I have a couple of topics (eg. Preface) which I don't want the header to show in the Table of Contents, but the topic should be in the pdf / manual.

How do I set this?
Thanks
Version 9.0.3 Build 6380

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Always check your spellar and gramming before you publish!
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Exclude Header (only) from ToC

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Aitch,
I have a couple of topics (eg. Preface) which I don't want the header to show in the Table of Contents, but the topic should be in the pdf / manual.
That's not possible without a trick, because unlike WebHelp a PDF is a single document. That means you can't have "hidden" files. If a topic isn't in the PDF TOC, then it's also not in the PDF. You can achieve what you want as follows:

First, exclude the topic from the PDF in the TOC with a build option. Then insert the topic in the previous topic as a linked snippet with a header above it to match the normal headers generated for topics in your PDF. Finally, enclose the header and the linked snippt in a conditional text build option so that they are only included in PDF. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.