Get rid of variable overwrite in publishing task

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Marc

Get rid of variable overwrite in publishing task

Unread post by Marc »

When configuring a publishing task you can define variable overwrites. But how can I remove such an overwrite that has once been defined so that the variables's default value is applied again?
Deleting the text in the table does not seem to work. The "Overwrite" column still says "Yes". Even deleting the definition from the XML code in the project file *.hmpx does not work. Somehow the definition always remains active...
Where does this come from? Is there any way to remove such an overwrite once it has been made?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Get rid of variable overwrite in publishing task

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Marc,

Your question isn't quite clear, but I'm guessing you are referring to redefining variables in topics, in the Topic Options tab. If you want to change that for the topic you just need to use the [-] button on the right of the variables box to remove it, instead of the [+] button to add a variable.

If you are referring to the variables you can set in the Publishing Task Manger you can reset those as well. Just edit the action in the publishing task, and in the Custom Variables tab, change the definition to the standard value.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Marc

Unread post by Marc »

Hi Tim,
I was referring to the variables you can set in the Pulishing Task Manager. What you recommend is exactly what I did. This does change the value of the variable, but it does not reset the fact that it is an Overwrite. The entry in the "Overwrite" column still remains "Yes" after this.
What I would like to achieve is that the entry says "No" so that the value of the variable is taken from the general project settings again.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Marc wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:15 pm What I would like to achieve is that the entry says "No" so that the value of the variable is taken from the general project settings again.
To do that, click in the value of the variable to make it editable, then click on the Delete button. That will reset it to use the project value and change the Overwrite display back to No. :)
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Marc

Unread post by Marc »

Yes, indeed this seems to be the correct command, and indeed the entry in the Overwrite column then says "No".
However, when I open the same dialog again after closing, the entry isd back to "Yes". Is this a bug? Is there any workaround?
(FYI: The variable I try to delete was imported with the Import function.)
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Marc,

Two points: You need to close the dialog with OK at the bottom to confirm, and then save the project after resetting, because these are project settings. Also, this will not work in the automatically-generated "Recent Publishes" task, which simply contains the data from the recent publish operations performed manually, without the Task Manager.
Regards,

Private support:
Marc

Unread post by Marc »

Hi Tim,
I double checked this:
* For most of the variables it works as you decribed. So here everything is fine here :-)
* However, for one variable (the one I used for testing) it also correctly removes the <task-variable> element from the project file xml code. BUT: The entry in the "Overwrite" column still says "Yes". When I then edit another variable in the publish tasks, a copy of the previously removed variable is inserted again (the <task-variable> element reappears in the xml code). So I am sure there must be some bug of one kind or another.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Marc,

Thanks for the detailed description. Our developers are looking into it. For the time being, if you set the variable to the value you want to have, it should work as required, even if the display says "Overwrite".
Regards,

Private support: