Copy old V4 skin to new V4 Skin Fails

This forum is for discussions on the Help & Manual Premium Pack and the Premium Pack Toolbox configuration utility introduced with Premium Pack 3

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

DeWayne Rosene

Copy old V4 skin to new V4 Skin Fails

Unread post by DeWayne Rosene »

I have been using a V4 Modern Standard Webhelp skin with PPT 4.4.1 and tweaked with my colors and options etc. I am unable to successfully copy my skin to the V4 Modern Standard Webhelp skin in my that came with the new PPT 5. I get the "Error Skin Type Mismatch" message. What do you think is the problem?

I was hoping to also be able to convert some of the attributes of my V4 Mod skin to one or more of the V5 skins but realize that will be a manual process. I was thinking of running both versions of the PPT side by side to compare and change applicable settings. Do you have any recommendations for transferring the settings?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Copy old V4 skin to new V4 Skin Fails

Unread post by Tim Green »

DeWayne Rosene wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:05 am I have been using a V4 Modern Standard Webhelp skin with PPT 4.4.1 and tweaked with my colors and options etc. I am unable to successfully copy my skin to the V4 Modern Standard Webhelp skin in my that came with the new PPT 5. I get the "Error Skin Type Mismatch" message. What do you think is the problem?
This is the correct behavior. The skins have all been updated significantly and you can't transfer from the old versions.
I was hoping to also be able to convert some of the attributes of my V4 Mod skin to one or more of the V5 skins but realize that will be a manual process. I was thinking of running both versions of the PPT side by side to compare and change applicable settings. Do you have any recommendations for transferring the settings?
I'm afraid that you will have to do this manually. The code changes and in many cases also the variable changs are quite significant, so they are effectively quite different skins. :?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
DeWayne Rosene

Re: Copy old V4 skin to new V4 Skin Fails

Unread post by DeWayne Rosene »

I understand that migrating a V4 Mod Std skin to one of the completely different V5 Cool Max isn't supported but when I read about the "Improvements in the Modern Flexible, Modern Magazine and Modern Standard skins" and tried to copy the config from my V4 Mod Std to the V4 Mod Std that came with the PPT 5 toolkit I didn't expect a problem particularly when the error states "The skin you load here must be the same type as the source and its version must be newer or the same as the source skin"
V5_PPT_Error.png
Just a bit disappointed and I think the message needs to be revised.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.