Crash on command-line compile

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

rossmcm

Crash on command-line compile

Unread post by rossmcm »

I call H&M from a batch file in my build chain. The HMXZ file compiles OK from the IDE, but when I run it from a batch file, I get this:

HM1.png

and on closing that one, this:

HM2.png

No compile occurs. H&M 7.5.1.4713
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Crash on command-line compile

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Ross,

First of all, run the current installer to update to 7.5.4 Build 4760. You can download it here:

https://www.helpandmanual.com/downloads.html#oldver

If you're getting a memory error it looks as if you may have a circular reference or something like that in your project or scripts. Try creating a simple demo project with just the standard topics and publish that from the command line to see if you get the error there as well. Also, if you are doing anything across a network, first try locally on a drive on your own computer.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
rossmcm

Unread post by rossmcm »

Hi Tim,

Installed that build, but the problem is still there - worse in fact - now I can't start the IDE either. Same errors. I don't think it's related to my project because it hasn't loaded anything yet when it crashes - if I start it from the command line with a non-existent project file as the argument it still crashes, with the same snag messages and addresses as I reported in my previous post.

I have confirmed that the executable has been updated:

Code: Select all

C:\Projects\filever "c:\Program Files (x86)\EC Software\HelpAndManual7\HelpMan.exe"
--a-- W32i   APP ENU      7.5.4.4760 shp 43,841,088 12-17-2019 helpman.exe 
Help! I'm dead in the water! Is it maybe some scrambled configuration file?

Thanks,
Ross
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Ross,

Please try a clean install: First uninstall Help+Manual through Windows control panel. Then open RegEdit, go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ECSOFTWARE\Help+Manual 7 and delete the entire Help+Manual 7 key (folder). Then restart Windows and reinstall using the current installer.

Does that help? If not, there must be some external factor.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
rossmcm

Unread post by rossmcm »

Problem went away after clean reinstall/restart but has reappeared.

My workaround has been to check errorlevel after the compile and retry if it is negative (it always is after the fail). Problem now is that the two snag dialogs require manual intervention to allow the build to continue, so my builds can't be left to complete.

I might be able to solve that with AutoIt or similar.
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

The file "ECHMSYN.DLL" is the syntax highlighter in Help+Manual.

Start H&M manually under the same user account you are running it in batch mode.
Open a project and open the configuration dialog for the syntax highlighter (same row as the styles combo).
Reset the configuration of the syntax highlighter.
Does this help?
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH
rossmcm

Unread post by rossmcm »

No difference I'm afraid. The crash happens about 10% of the time (I wrote a batch file to start the compile, wait 15 seconds, and check to see if the task HelpMan.exe is still running. If it isn't all good, if it is I TASKKILL it and loop back for another try. I ran 1300 compiles overnight. Around 140 snagged on the DLL error dialog. In all cases I was able to successfully recover and recompile.

When I reset the syntax highlighter I would have expected to see some changes in the checkbox settings, but clicking the button has no visible effect on the controls in that dialog.

I also tried deleting all the syntax support checkboxes apart from "Batch". No change.

I've worked around it by spawning another CMD window and running the compile from there and killing the task if it doesn't complete.
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Could you please try to replace the ECHMSYN.DLL in the application folder with this version:

https://www.helpandmanual.com/download/ECHMSYN.zip

Does that make a difference for command line compilation?
Alexander Halser
rossmcm

Unread post by rossmcm »

Hi Alexander,

I replaced the 1.0.2.7 DLL with the 1.0.2.12 and I am still seeing the problem, at about the same incidence rate. It does seem as though it might occur more often if I am using the PC, opening/closing/moving windows, etc.

I mentioned that it also occurs when starting the IDE. I have noticed the following behaviour - and it seems consistent. (When I say "it crashes", I mean I get the two error messages - one from the DLL, and one announcing that HM couldn't start).
  • I try to start H&M from the taskbar icon. It crashes every time.
  • I try it by double-clicking a project file. It crashes.
  • I try it by right-clicking the taskbar icon and selecting a project from the pinned items list- and it works!
  • From that point on I can start the IDE from the taskbar icon.
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

That's really strange. We've never had a crash like this in all the years since 7.5.1. And that version is no longer maintained.

What we can do is: you install version 9 and we give you a free time-limited test license to see if the situation changes with v9.

Regarding compatibility: using v9 for command-line compilation (only) should be 100% compatible. So you can keep running v7 for editing your project and test v9 for command-line publishing. Please let me know if this is a viable solution for you.
Alexander Halser
rossmcm

Unread post by rossmcm »

Certainly worth a try. I have a test environment that will show pretty soon if the problem is still with us!