Two Issues and Help Hiding Menu

This forum is for discussions on the Help & Manual Premium Pack and the Premium Pack Toolbox configuration utility introduced with Premium Pack 3

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

DNH

Two Issues and Help Hiding Menu

Unread post by DNH »

Hello,
I am using the Premium Pack Toolbox 5.01 to edit the new Cool Max skin, and am stuck already. I currently have two issues, not sure if I found bugs or features were removed.

1. I want to disable the breadcrumb navigation. In my last skin, I just used OPT_BREADOFF. As you can see in my image below, it should be off, but the breadcrumb still shows up.

2. I want to hide the logo (and the background image) in the header. It says in the help that:

Disabling the logo:
You can completely disable the logo in the header with the OPT_NOHEADERLOGO option accessed with the Skin Options button in Toolbox.

This option is not available in Skin Options in PP Toolbox 5.01, unless it moved somewhere else.

3. I want to disable the menu in the top right in the topic header. I thought it was called the hamburger menu? Please let me know how to hide it.
threeissues.jpg
Let me know
Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Two Issues and Help Hiding Menu

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Dave,

The hamburger menu cannot be disabled. It is a standard component and should be left where it is. Lots of scripts expect it to be there, and removing it would cause errors.

The header logo in this skin is available in three different locations/versions, depending on which header content you select. Your screenshot shows you are using the one without any header menus, which you select by entering HM_NOMENU in the HEADER_MENU_TYPE variable in the Header & Footer variables group. With it set up as shown in your screenshot, you also need to increase the height of the header with the HEADERBOX_HEIGHT variable in the same group.

Since there is such a complexity of different header content with these choices, this skin doesn't currently have a simple setting for turning the logo off. (I'll add this in a future update.) Instead, you need to edit the HTML file with the header content, which is the HM_NOMENU.html file in the Baggage files of the skin in your case. The content of that file is very simple:

Code: Select all

<nav id="header_menu">
<div id="homebutton"><a id="homebuttonlink" href="<%HEADERLOGO_URL%>" alt="<%HEADERLOGO_TITLE%>" title="<%HEADERLOGO_TITLE%>" aria-label="<%HEADERLOGO_TITLE%>"></a></div>
</nav>
To remove the logo, just remove the entire <div id="homebutton"> ... </div> between the <nav id="header_menu"> </nav> tags, but DON'T remove the <nav> tags. You can put your own header content in between those tags.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
DNH

Unread post by DNH »

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the reply. First, I think you then need to edit the help file for the no header logo option until you add it. Following your steps helped removed it, and figured out myself how to hide the background image in the header.
nologoinheader.jpg
You didn't address the hiding the breadcrumb navigation option. I think it must be a bug because it doesn't work.

For the hamburger menu, I guess I'll get our RD team to look at removing it, because it is not needed and will take away from the layout we want.

Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Dave,

Sorry, I missed that you had also mentioned the breadcrumb navigation option. We'll look into that, and the possibility of hiding the hamburger navigation (although I would still say that's a really bad idea).
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
DNH

Unread post by DNH »

Tim Green wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:58 am Sorry, I missed that you had also mentioned the breadcrumb navigation option. We'll look into that, and the possibility of hiding the hamburger navigation (although I would still say that's a really bad idea).
Thanks, please let me know. For the hamburger navigation, it's just that it could be turned off in PP4 skins, so I'm sure we won't want to add in the updated help layout.

Dave
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Dave,

An option to remove the header logo will be included in the next update. We're not going to add an explicit option to remove the hamburger menu because we don't want to encourage bad practice. However, if you feel compelled to do it anyway, you can do it with a simple edit in the hmwebhelp_main.css file:

Look for this line:

/* Topic Navigation Section in Topic Header */
and add this directly after it:

a#hamburgerlink {
  display: none;
} 
This is much better than actually removing code, because it prevents unintended side effects.
Regards,

Private support:
DNH

Unread post by DNH »

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the code, it works. Please let me know when the breadcrumbs navigation off issue is resolved.

Dave
Tim Green
Site Admin

DNH wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:50 am Please let me know when the breadcrumbs navigation off issue is resolved.
This will also be included in the upcoming maintenance update. :)
Regards,

Private support: