List numbers reset when continued in another cell of a table

Discussions about Help+Manual 9

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

BjoernThiele

List numbers reset when continued in another cell of a table

Unread post by BjoernThiele »

Hi I am creating a guide with a set of instructions that come as a outline numbered list.
like:
a. compose XY
i. step 1
1. do a
2. do b
ii. step 2
1. do c
2. do b again

to tweak screenshots into the layout (text left, screenshots right), I copied that list and the images into a table (better Ideas for this welcome, too :-) ).
I learned that the list won't automatically continue its numbering from one cell to another. Yesterday I somehow managed to work around that using the "Start at" option in the "outline numbered" tab in "Bullets and Numbering" options. Today I continued the very same project and it won't work. I set a fraction of my list to start with the right number and at first it shows correctly. After I save, go to another topic and then back, everything is reset to start from 1. The same if I just try to export my project to pdf.
Is this a bug or is it me?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: List numbers reset when continued in another cell of a table

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Bjoern,

You cannot have lists going across the borders of table cells. Each table cell is an independent document and lists can only work inside the same cell.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
BjoernThiele

Re: List numbers reset when continued in another cell of a table

Unread post by BjoernThiele »

Hi Tim,
I understand that a list cannot automatically be continued from one table cell to the next. But when my first cell has items 1-4 and I tell H+M to start a new list in the next cell and that this new list should start counting from 5, I suppose that should work. The weirdest thing is: That did work yesterday but not today. I'll send you a demo project for the image number issue anyway, so you can check for both.
best regards
Björn