Using text variables to control conditional output

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

rossmcm

Using text variables to control conditional output

Unread post by rossmcm »

I use text variables a lot for importing information that changes from build to build. Is there any mechanism for using these in conditional output? I can't find any mention of this. The closest thing seems to be user-defined builds, but that would only be useful if it were possible to enable or disable them with a command-line option, but it would still not be as useful as being able to conditionally include content on the result of a boolean expression.

I'm thinking specifically of the possibility of needing to generate different output depending on the version of H&M compiling the help - based on what I have read in this post: https://www.it-authoring.com/bb/helpaut ... hp?p=70103
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Using text variables to control conditional output

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Ross,

You can enclose variables in conditions but you can't use them as the basis for conditions. This is because only the true/false status of the condition itself is evaluated in HM's conditional output. Variables are also plain text only.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
rossmcm

Re: Using text variables to control conditional output

Unread post by rossmcm »

Thanks Tim.

OK, feature request coming ... :mrgreen: