Heading numbering issue

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Tansy

Heading numbering issue

Unread post by Tansy »

Hi,

Here is my issue. In my document I have some level 5 headings, the first digit of which is cropped. When I tried the same thing on a test document, nothing was cropped but the TOC was weird. I am attaching the screenshot of the actual documentation. How can I fix this? Thanks.

The way it looks in the TOC
Screen2.png
The way it appears in the document (the number should be 9.2.2.1.1 and 9.2.2.1.2)
Screen1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Heading numbering issue

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Tansy,

The clipped numbers will be caused by one of two possible causes: a) The text object for the numbering variable is a separate object and not wide enough for numbers with that number of levels, or b) The numbering variable does not contain all the necessary components. This is happening on level 5, so the variable should contain all 5 components, like this:

Code: Select all

<%NUMBERING1%>.<%NUMBERING2%>.<%NUMBERING3%>.<%NUMBERING4%>.<%NUMBERING5%>  <%HEADING5%>
In your TOC you also have dot leaders projecting out to the left beneath the titles in some entries. This is because you are using the old method of inserting a large number of dots in the text object with the numbering variable and having the text object with the title overlap it. There are too many dots, and they are projecting out to the left of the title variable.

You no longer need to do this since Help+Manual 7. Instead, use a single text object for the title and the page numbering variable, and enter the title and numbering variables separated by 5 dots with a space on each side, like this:

Code: Select all

<%HEADING2%> ..... <%BEGINPAGE2%>
Then set thge Alignment option to Justified / Fíll and you will get automatic dot leaders with exactly the right number of dots for each entry.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tansy

Unread post by Tansy »

Hi Tim,
Thanks.
Tried what you recommended and here is what I got:
1. For some reason, the TOC dots look correct on level 2 only, even though the formatting of all other levels is the same as level 2.
Screen4.png
2. The issue of cropped headings was not solved. I tried expanding the object and corrected the numbering:
Screen3.png
PS I realize Header 6 should have a dot before the 6th digit, already corrected it in my template.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Tansy,

You made one mistake: Your Alignment: is still set to "Left". You must set it to Justified / Fill, otherwise the automatic dot leaders won't work.

Also, those red outlines are not just decorations. They are a warning that your text objects are incorrectly sized and are projecting outside the containing band. You need to adjust their position and size until the red outlines disappear, using SHIFT + arrow keys and CTRL + arrow keys. The objects containing the title and page reference variables should also all extend all the way to the right border.
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tansy

Unread post by Tansy »

Hi Tim,
All is well with the TOC now, thanks for the tips.
As for the cut headers, the issue is still there, even though I changed the alignment to Justified/Fill and the shapes are no longer red. What do I do wrong?
Screen5.png
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Tansy,

Your screenshot shows that the numbering variable on the left is in a separate text object, which is probably just not wide enough for the longer numbers.
Regards,

Private support:
Tansy

Unread post by Tansy »

Hi Tim,
I changed the object size (see the screenshot) and yet the problem persists. Is it possible to include the numbering into the object with the header text and page number?
Screen6.png
Tim Green
Site Admin

I changed the object size (see the screenshot) and yet the problem persists.
Your screenshot only shows the Manual Designer, not your PDF output. Are you getting the problem in your PDF output? You will often not see the entire number in the Manual Designer.

If you are getting the problem in your PDF output then please send me your .mnl file at support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @) so that we can check it directly.
Regards,

Private support:
Tansy

Unread post by Tansy »

Hi Tim,
I sent you the file.
Thank you very much.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Update: The issue was simply that the text objects for the numbering variables were overlapping the text objects for the title, so that part of the number was hidden behind the title. 8)
Regards,

Private support:
Tansy

Unread post by Tansy »

Sorry to say that but the problem is still there! Sent you an email.
When I created a brand-new project it worked even before all the adjustments, but with this one it persists.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Tansy wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:19 am Sorry to say that but the problem is still there! Sent you an email.
When I created a brand-new project it worked even before all the adjustments, but with this one it persists.
I just checked this: The problem was just that you had forgotten one of the numbering variables on level 5. 8)
Regards,

Private support: