Translation Tool

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

h matthews

Translation Tool

Unread post by h matthews »

Hi, I didnt see a specific forum for the translation tool so apologies if this is in the wrong area.

I choose "New Language Sibling", select my H&M file, choose a location for the new sibling.

It imports correctly but then I cannot click on any of the topics. None of them highlight iin Blue. The "Translate" button is greyed out.

I have the full license for the tool.

TIA
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Translation Tool

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi "h" (do you have a name?),

HMTA has a different purpose from Help+Manual itself and thus works a little differently. For example, when you select something in the Table of Contents section this doesn't automatically open the editor, since all you are editing/translating there is the TOC entry. Initially, you need to select the Editor button in the toolbar to activate it.

When you create a new language sibling the original project on the left is set to read-only and you shouldn't change that. Only the translation copy on the right is editable.

For translation to work, you need to set up the DeepL configuration with your DeepL API key. See the documentation (F1) for details on this. I also strongly recommend studying the documentation before getting started, as this will save you a lot of time in the long run.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
h matthews

Hi Tim,

I have been using the trial version successfully so I am not sure what I could be suddenly doing wrong.

To translate the topics on the right hand side, I need to select them so they are blue then press "translate" on the toolbar right?

My problem is, nothing on the right hand side is selectable. When I click on the topics, they remain grey. The editor is open.

I have an active DeepL configuration.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

h matthews wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:51 am To translate the topics on the right hand side, I need to select them so they are blue then press "translate" on the toolbar right?

Yes, so long as you are selecting the topic in the Topics section and not in the Table of Contents section. In the TOC you would only translate the TOC entry, not the topic file contents.
My problem is, nothing on the right hand side is selectable. When I click on the topics, they remain grey. The editor is open.
That's a little strange and not something I've ever heard of. Check these things:
  • Restart Windows and the program.
  • Make sure that your Windows account has full read and write permissions for the project in the target window -- i.e. it is not set to read-only in Windows Explorer
  • Make sure that the project in the target Window is actually present-- for example, that it isn't on a network drive that is not currently available
  • Check that you are using the latest version (9.0.3) and download the installer here to update if you aren't
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

Hi!
It's not clear to us how that looks like. Can you post a screenshot of HMTA when both projects are opened side by side?
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH
h matthews

Hi, sorry to resurrect this but I am still having issues

I have attached what my translation tool looks like. I cannot click on any of the topics. I cant even type into the "DeepL Translator Plugin" panel on the right hand side. I can select all the available icons in the toolbar.

The only thing I have noticed is that the software is installed as user only which does not require PC administrator credentials to be added. Should it be installed for all users?

I have tried using files on and off a server. Installed the latest version today.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

I cant even type into the "DeepL Translator Plugin" panel on the right hand side. I can select all the available icons in the toolbar.
Of course not. The DeepL translation plugin doesn't activate unless you select a topic and text in a topic.
Alexander Halser
h matthews

Not entirely helpful. My issue is that I cannot select the topics…
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Sorry, I do not really understand what's happening.
Can you just not select topics or can you not select anything (like: the main headings in the list, when you scroll up to the top)?
We've never had a case when nothing at all can be selected in this grid. It is technically hard to imagine, either. Does it make a difference if you close the DeepL plugin window?
Alexander Halser
h matthews

Hi,

So closing the DeepL translator allowed me to click on everything again. I then re-opened the plugin and everything is working as it should...

Frustratingly simple fix :lol:

Thank you, all seems to be ok for now

Regards,