Numbering Styles have a problem after 9

Discussions about Help+Manual 9

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Ray Rippey

Numbering Styles have a problem after 9

Unread post by Ray Rippey »

I'm using the numbering styles instead of bullets to automatically add a number to each paragraph. It works fine until you get to 10. Then it doesn't add a space after the period. Seems like a bug. I haven't changed anything else. I'm using Normal for the style.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Numbering Styles have a problem after 9

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Ray,

Not a bug, just something you need to know: By default, the lists have a relatively small standard indent that looks fine with single digits and small bullets. For anything bigger you need to set a manual indent. To do this manually, select the first item in the list (which controls the indent for the entire list) and use the paragraph settings to set a hanging indent wide enough for the largest number that will appear in your list.

Alternatively, you can define a paragraph style with an appropriate hanging indent. Technically, you only need to apply it to the first item in the list. However, it's best to apply it to all the items -- then the indent will still be correct if you need to split the list at some point.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.