WebHelp Issue- Need to replace a logo in completed output file

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Laini Giles

WebHelp Issue- Need to replace a logo in completed output file

Unread post by Laini Giles »

Hi Tim-

I've searched through the topics, and can't figure this out, even though I've tried multiple times to make this work.

We adapted a copy of an older document (and product) for the current one, and I need to replace the PLS logo with the ABC one in a completed WebHelp file. I've tried making a copy of the skin and opening it in Help and Manual, and pasting the specific bit of code in, then altering the picture file that appears in the code, as was stated in an older post, but that didn't work. I must be doing something wrong.

Thanks!
Laini
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: WebHelp Issue- Need to replace a logo in completed output file

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Laini,

You are using a Premium Pack skin that has a different structure. Since you have already set it up for a logo of your own, all you need to do is give the new logo file exactly the same name as the old one, and replace the old one in the Baggage Files section of the skin file with the new one.

Also, please don't edit Premium Pack skins in Help+Manual directly. They should be edited in the Toolbox utility included with the Premium Pack. This will give you structured access to all the configuration options, with popup help for every option, and will prevent incorrect entries for the options.

Once in Toolbox, please select Help in the Help menu for the full documentation. If you study that you will be able to get a lot more out of the skins.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Laini Giles

HI Tim-

Thanks for the reply. I did replace the original graphic with the new one (same name), and that didn't work, which is why I was writing. And I continue to be frustrated.

It's been so long since I've had to access any of this stuff. How do I access the Toolbox? I'm not finding anything with that name in the H+M program folder or the product itself.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Laini Giles wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:08 pm Thanks for the reply. I did replace the original graphic with the new one (same name), and that didn't work, which is why I was writing.

Make sure that you clear your browser cache when you test after publishing, otherwise your browser may show you the cached old version. A quick way to reload the current page without the cache is with CTRL+F5. Also make sure that you are really selecting the skin that you edited when you publish, and not another copy.
It's been so long since I've had to access any of this stuff. How do I access the Toolbox? I'm not finding anything with that name in the H+M program folder or the product itself.
The Premium Pack is a separate product. If you didn't have the installer create a shortcut to Toolbox on the desktop when you publish you can find the program itself inside the Help+Manual program directory. It's called hmToolbox.exe.
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Laini Giles

Thanks, Tim.

I just did a cache clearing. I'll see what happens after that.

I suspect that my coworker, who is no longer working in documentation, may have gotten some of the premium pack contents on his computer. I do not have hmToolbox.exe on my system.

Thanks!
Laini
Tim Green
Site Admin

Laini Giles wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:06 pm I suspect that my coworker, who is no longer working in documentation, may have gotten some of the premium pack contents on his computer. I do not have hmToolbox.exe on my system.
Please contact us at support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @) with details of your PP version (3, 4 or 5) and we can provide you with an installer and key.
Regards,

Private support:
Laini Giles

Hi Tim-

We got in touch with our IT department, and they got us the Toolbox. I spent yesterday afternoon learning how to use it, and got the baggage files uploaded and regenerated.

Now, we at least have NO logo showing up instead of the incorrect one, but still not quite there. :/
Laini Giles

What does it mean when I get this message when compiling?

"Cannot load skin C:\ABC Project\4.2 Project\abc-help-manual-projects\Templates\POSSE ABC Reference Manual HTML Template - Copy.hmskin (file was found but could not be opened)"

That skin is in the Templates folder with my other original skin, POSSE ABC Reference Manual HTML Template. Is it causing an issue? Is it in the wrong place? Is that part of why things aren't working?

Thanks, and sorry for pestering!
Laini
Tim Green
Site Admin

Laini Giles wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:42 pm got the baggage files uploaded and regenerated.

This choice of words concerns me a little. There is nothing to upload or regenerate. You just need to add the logo file to the Baggage Files section of the skin. It is VERY important that the name of the logo file should not contain any spaces, accented characters or non-alphanumeric characters. Only use a..z, A..Z, 0..9, - and _. No other characters.
Now, we at least have NO logo showing up instead of the incorrect one, but still not quite there. :/
If you continue to have problems, mail the .hmskin file to support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @) along with your logo image file and we will check it for you.
"Cannot load skin C:\ABC Project\4.2 Project\abc-help-manual-projects\Templates\POSSE ABC Reference Manual HTML Template - Copy.hmskin (file was found but could not be opened)"
You probably still have the skin open in Toolbox. It locks files that you are editing. It's also bad practice to have filenames with spaces in them. Always use underscores (_) instead of spaces. The filename with spaces will probably work here, but sooner or later using them in filenames will always bite you.
Regards,

Private support: