Deprecated Topics can be found by searching the Published Project.

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

beckteck

Deprecated Topics can be found by searching the Published Project.

Unread post by beckteck »

Hello,

I was hoping I might get some advice about the following issue with H&M7.

1. I have an old project that has been in existence for a large number of years. It is still active, but several topics have been deprecated and set to a. status of Out of Date and b. not to include in any builds.

2. When I publish the project as a webhelp type, the deprecated topics do not appear in the TOC, but can be found when using the search option.

Does anyone have a good tip for ensuring that deprecated topics cannot be searched and found in the published project? But still remain part of the original project structure.

Thank you for any assistance.

Beckteck
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Deprecated Topics can be found by searching the Published Project.

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Beck,

The most likely cause for this is that you are not publishing to an empty folder or not using the option to delete all the files in the output folder before publishing. Then any old topic files from previous compiles will still be there and will be included in the search index, because the index is generated from the files in the output folder. Similarly, you should regularly flush your web server folder, otherwise old files will continue to be indexed by Google and other search engines.

When uploading to your web server the best way to achieve a quick turnaround and a clean upload is to make a new folder on the same level as your production folder. Upload to the new temporary folder and test there. Once you are sure that everything is OK, quickly change the name of the old production folder (for example by adding BAK or OLD to the name or something like that) and rename your temporary folder to the actual production folder name. Then your help will only ever be offline for a few seconds.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.