[FEATURES] Graphviz / Mermaid integration

Nothing is perfect! This is where you can post your ideas and wishes for functions you'd like to see in Help & Manual. Current version only please (H&M7).

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

pcamelio

[FEATURES] Graphviz / Mermaid integration

Unread post by pcamelio »

Hi guys,

Being able to add Graphviz / Mermaid like diagrams would be a nice improvement for the H+M.

Best regards
Philippe Camelio
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: [FEATURES] Graphviz / Mermaid integration

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Philippe,

Thanks for your request, which I've moved to the Wish List section as it's more relevant there. This is the first request we've ever received for this format, so although it will go on the Wish List I can't promise whether it will be implemented in the short term. :)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

I've never heard about this file format. Do you have an example, that you could email to support?

Help+Manual 9 comes with a small generic plugin DLL (ECIMPZIP.DLL) that can read any zip-based format. The only thing hard-coded in this DLL is the list of file extensions, which can easily be extended. It was introduced for SnagIt files. Unfortunately, SnagIt doesn't include a full-size preview, but a smaller version. So, if Graphviz saves diagrams as zip archive and includes a preview image inside (which is quite common), we can most probably read it. Without a simple file format or without a preview, it is going to be very difficult to decode a custom image format.
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH
pcamelio

Unread post by pcamelio »

Hi
It is not a file format like PNG or JPEG.
It is more like the way you insert an equation

Mermaid is extensively used in GitHub / Gitlab etc .. to add diagram in the README.md file and is JS bases
GraphiViz is older
You can find details here:
Official sites: As I can not evaluate the cost of development, it is just a wish

Best regards
Philippe