Software Outdated?

Discussions about Help+Manual 9

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Linda Polinski

Software Outdated?

Unread post by Linda Polinski »

Our IT department is telling us that Help 7 Manual 9 is outdated - that ASP is outdated and no longer supported by Microsoft. They are pushing us to find a different solution. Is there anything you can provide to help us defend the use of H&M? Anything would be appreciated.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Software Outdated?

Unread post by Tim Green »

We're not quite sure what your IT department is trying to say here. Help+Manual 9 is definitely not outdated. Help+Manual itself doesn't use ASP, and ASP itself is a Microsoft technology. It may have reached the end of its life, but Microsoft is going to continue to support it for a long time. You can choose the ASP platform for WebHelp search, and it will continue to work on Microsoft web servers. You don't have to, however. You cann also use the PHP platform for search, which is generally considered to be better, or the JavaScript platform as well. Switching the platform in the search settings in your WebHelp skin just takes a couple of seconds.

Please provide more details so that we can understand what your IT department's issue is. Then we will be able to help you further. :)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Linda Polinski

Re: Software Outdated?

Unread post by Linda Polinski »

Thank you for your reply Tim. When we set up H&M years ago, the consultant had us use ASP. I dont know why. I had even forgotten it was a setting. So thank you so much!

The issue with IT now is that they have new security measures and they are moving our files and URL. They dont know the program and dont like the idea of us publishing to a URL that they do not control the publishing. So they are trying to get us to publish to Word or PDF - our entire online help is 1000 pages.

I have passed on your comments about switching to PHP etc.

Thanks again.