HMv9 Version Control set up with Git

Discussions about Help+Manual 9

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Ivonne Alemany

HMv9 Version Control set up with Git

Unread post by Ivonne Alemany »

Hello! We just upgraded from HMv7 to HMv9 in our company. With HMv7 I had SVN version control and used TortoiseSVN Repository Browser tools to manage. HMv7 had buttons to load the project, sync etc. I have been struggling trying to get the SVN or Git button to display on the ribbon.

This time around our company has Git set up. I understand Git is an excellent choice. I have the link to get the Git repository that was provided to me: https://dev.azure.com/usancode/Common.Help_Manual
However, when I compare this link to what your user manual has in the Git path field, you have C:\Program Files\Git\bin\git.exe

Can you please provide the steps for me to connect a project to the newly set up Git repo?

Appreciate your help as always!
Ivonne Alemany at USAN
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: HMv9 Version Control set up with Git

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Ivonne,

To get Git set up, you need to follow all the instructions in these documentation pages in the correct order:

https://www.helpandmanual.com/help/hm_a ... s_git.html

The following points are particularly important:
  • Every project must have its own Git repository, so that the .git folder is inside the project folder on the same level as the .hmxp project file. If it is not there, Help+Manual will not show the Version Control button.
  • Set up a merge tool for Git as explained in the documentation. If you don't do that, the synchronization process will hang when conflicts are encountered.
This time around our company has Git set up. I understand Git is an excellent choice. I have the link to get the Git repository that was provided to me: https://dev.azure.com/usancode/Common.Help_Manual

This is why you are not seeing the version control button. You have been given a common link for all projects, and they are all being stored in the same repository. That won't work, because there will just be one .git folder all the way up at the top of the directory tree for all your projects. You need a separate repository for each project. When you pull your local working copy from those, each project will have its own .git information folder, which will show Help+Manual that it is under Git control. This is also much safer, because it prevents accidental synchronization of other projects when users are not ready for it.
However, when I compare this link to what your user manual has in the Git path field, you have C:\Program Files\Git\bin\git.exe
Those are two different things. Your dev.azure link is the URL of the data repository where your projects are stored. The path to git.exe is the location of the Git software on your Windows computer.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.