Syntax Highlighters

Discussions about Help+Manual 9

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Robert van der Hulst

Syntax Highlighters

Unread post by Robert van der Hulst »

The editor in HM9 has several syntax highlighters.
I need a new highlighter for our custom language (X#).
This does not exist, so I use the general highlighter.
This general highlighter shows that the comments are in C++ style.
However, this highlighter does not mark /* */ comments as comment and also not the // end of line comments.
When I change the comment style to something else and then visit the dialog again then the style is set back to C++ style and does not work...
Is this a known issue?
Also the documentation speaks about 3 styles that can be customized. I only see one "General" style.

Robert
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Syntax Highlighters

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Robert,

I'm having our developers look into this. There appears to be a problem with the General slot for custom highlighers. And yes, we did have three slots in the past. This appears to have been changed without documentation yet. I'm checking into all these things and will get back to you when I have more information. :)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Robert van der Hulst

Tim,
I see that several highlighters have different kinds of Elements.
Is there some kind of extensibility model for this?
Or can I ask you to add our language "X#" and provide you with the details about what to put in there?

Robert
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Robert,

It turns out the 3 slots for custom highlighters got overlooked in the HM9 update. This interim update restores them and the ability to save the commenting style:

https://www.helpandmanual.com/download/ ... p-v920.exe

There is a limitation on the commenting style selected that cannot be changed, unfortunately: Each commenting style you select for the custom highlighters only recognizes one type of comment. If you select C++ style it will identify // comments but not /**/ comments. The Pascal comments identify {} but not // or /// or (**). And the C comments identify /**/ but not //. I'm afraid this is a limitation of the custom commenting style options in the highlighter component and our developers say they can't change it in the short term. :-//
Is there some kind of extensibility model for this?
Or can I ask you to add our language "X#" and provide you with the details about what to put in there?
I'm afraid it's not extensible, but it has been noted and passed on for the Wish List.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Robert van der Hulst

Thanks for the quick fix. At least the comments are recognized now.
It would be really nice if you could open this up for us.

Robert