Zoom indexer does not complete the indexing

Discussions about Help+Manual 9

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Sonia Guimond

Zoom indexer does not complete the indexing

Unread post by Sonia Guimond »

Hi,

Since I changed my PC, Zoom indexer does not complete the indexing.

In the project settings:
• I selected the check box “Use my installed version of Zoom to generate the full-text search.”
• I chose the ZoomIndexer.exe (installed on the PC) and the configuration file .zcfg configured per the Zoom Full Version Instructions (http://www.it-authoring.com/info/ZoomFullVersion.pdf).

If I deselect the check box “Use my installed version of Zoom to generate the full-text search,” the full-text index is generated correctly.

When I select the check box, all the topic files generate correctly. H&M “stalls” when it generates the full-text search. The file “zoom_search.js” is generated, but the files “zoom_index.js,” “settings.js,” and “zoom_pageinfo.js” are never added to the output folder. With the “old” PC, the indexing would take a few minutes. With the “new” PC, I must stop the generation because the indexing never completes.

Information on the old PC (where the indexing is correct)
• Windows 10
• Professional version of Zoom indexer (version 8.0, build 1017)
o Indexing mode = Offline mode (I let H&M do the indexing. I don’t index with Zoom.)
o Platform = JavaScript
• Version of H&M = 9.01 build 6320
• Generating the project with a skin “Boxed_Plain_Grey_WebHelp”
• Version of Premium Pack = 4.4.0

Information on the new PC (where the indexing does not work)
• Windows 11
• Professional version of Zoom indexer (version 8.0, build 1019)
o Indexing mode = Offline mode (I let H&M do the indexing. I don’t index with Zoom.)
o Platform = JavaScript
• Version of H&M = 9.02 build 6342
• Generating the project with a skin “Boxed_Plain_Grey_WebHelp”
• Version of Premium Pack = 4.4.1 (I upgrade the skin to this new version).

Is there anything I can check on the new PC to ensure the full-text index generates correctly?

Please let me know if you need extra information.
Regards,
Sonia Guimond
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Zoom indexer does not complete the indexing

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Sonia,

The most common cause of this is publishing to a folder where the account under which Zoom was installed does not have full read/write permissions. Try publishing to a folder in your own Documents directory.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Sonia Guimond

Hi Tim,
Thanks for the answer.

First attempt
I changed the configuration file .zcfg and I published to the following empty folder on the new PC, but still the index does not generate.
C:\Users\Sonia\Documents\Zoom

Second attempt
I changed the configuration file .zcfg and published to the following empty folder on the new PC, but still the index does not generate.
C:\Zoom
Can I check anything else on the new PC to ensure the full-text index generates correctly?
I have upgraded to H&M 9.1.0. Build 6440.
Regards,
Sonia
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Sonia,

When you look in the compiler report, what do you see there relating to the Zoom index generation? If there is a problem you should see some messages about it. Also, have you set the output folder in your Zoom configuration file, and the Zoom configuration file in your project in Configuration > Publishing > WebHelp > Zoom?

Also check these things in your Zoom config:
ZoomConfig.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Sonia Guimond

Hi Tim,
There is not much information in the Zoom compiler report. I just have the following. Nothing else.

Code: Select all

02|05/11/23 12:19:41|Config file loaded: C:\Users\Sonia\my_sigmarh_france_c_sonia.zcfg
Settings in the Zoom Configuration file.
Zoom_Config.png
In Zoom indexer, I do not click on Start indexing now.

Settings in the skin:
In the skin, I also selected JavaScript.
Skin_Config.png
Settings in the project:
Just in case, I also set the platform JavaScript in the project.
Project_Config.png
Is this configuration correct?
Regards
Sonia
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

The directory needs to be set to the folder in which you are compiling your WebHelp, because Zoom needs to know where the published HTML files are to be able to index them. The directory you have set there looks as if it is something different. Is that the case?
Regards,

Private support:
Sonia Guimond

Hi Tim,
Do you mean that I must copy the .zcfg configuration file in the folder where I’m publishing the help?
In my example that would be: C:\Users\Sonia\Documents\Zoom
I tried that, and it doesn’t work either. The topics are generated, but the index doesn’t compile.
I’m baffled by this. I’m probably missing something trivial, but I can’t find it.
Is there anything else I can check?
Regards,
Sonia
Tim Green
Site Admin

Sonia Guimond wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 8:16 pm Do you mean that I must copy the .zcfg configuration file in the folder where I’m publishing the help?
No -- please don't do that. The configuration file can be anywhere except there. You just need to point Zoom to the location where you are generating the WebHelp so that it can index the WebHelp topic files after they have been published, and that seems to be correct.

Is it possible that you have generating search turned off in your skin? To check this, open the .hmskin file in Help+Manual and look in Configuration > Publishing > WebHelp > Navigation and make sure that the "Full-text Search" option at the top is checked. Also make sure that your project (not the skin) knows where the Zoom configuration file is, in Configuration > Publishing > WebHelp > Zoom.

If that is OK, please send a small demo project, your .hmskin skin file and your .zcfg Zoom configuration file to support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @) so that we can check them directly.
Regards,

Private support:
Sonia Guimond

Hi Tim,
I'm preparing a small demo project, .hmskin skin file and Zoom configuration file. I'll be sending them to support.
Regards,
Sonia
Sonia Guimond

Hi,

Thanks to Tim for this help on this issue.

The problem was caused by Windows permissions. Let me explain. I’m not the Admin of my PC. The company I work for implemented “Admin by Request” to “control” what is installed on our PCs. Since I was not the Admin of my PC, Zoom could not generate the search index.

I have talked to our IT department. They will allow me to be the Admin of my PC when I generate the help from the command line.

I generate the help with:
  • A project (located on the network drive);
    A skin (located on the network drive);
    A Zoom configuration file (located on the local drive).
I won’t be able to generate web help manually (F9) for testing purposes. I’m able to live with that.
Regards,
Sonia Guimond