How to link to a topic in online help?

Discussions about Help+Manual 9

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Dale Derix

How to link to a topic in online help?

Unread post by Dale Derix »

I think I must be missing something very elementary, but when I send a link to a specific topic in our online help to a customer, it always jumps to the first topic.

Example, I want to link to this Activation topic... https://agtcad.net/quick-start/dcw/inde ... ation.html

But it will go up to the introduction.

What am I missing here?

Thanks,

Dale
Dale Derix

Re: How to link to a topic in online help?

I just figured it out.

I need to take out the /index? part. I just copied and pasted the link without realizing what it was pointing to.

Correct Example https://agtcad.net/quick-start/dcw/qs_activation.html

Dale
Dale Derix

Although when I do that, I lose the index altogether. It would be better if it was still there with the desired topic selected.

Dale
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Dale,

The problem here is that you are using a very old and obsolete layout that also appears to be damaged in some way. The templates you are using have not been valid since the days of Internet Explorer 6 many years ago. What version of Help+Manual are you generating them with?

Technically, the url syntax index.html?topicname.htm/.html is required for standard Help+Manual WebHelp, but there is some damage in the templates you are using that is preventing it from working. Before making suggestions, we need to know your HM version and whether you are using a skin to publish your WebHelp or not.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Dale Derix

Tim:

First, my apologies for not responding to you earlier. I had my notification settings set incorrectly, and then got pulled in other directions and am just now getting back to this issue.

Second, thank you so much for the great support! This is the second time you have helped me out with very helpful, detailed information.

I have switched to a different skin and I have it working now thanks to your help.

Warm Regards,
Dale
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Dale,

You're welcome! 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.