When is a chapter not a chapter

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

jep1955b

When is a chapter not a chapter

Unread post by jep1955b »

I have an "issue" that may not have a practical resolution, but there seems to be some real geniuses here.

HELP:
TOP TOPIC 1
SubTopic 1.1
SubSubTopic 1.1.1
SubSubTopic 1.1.2
SubSubTopic 1.1.3
SubTopic 1.2
SubSubTopic 1.2.1
SubSubTopic 1.2.2
SubTopic 1.3
TOP TOPIC 2
SubTopic 2.1
SubSubTopic 2.1.1
SubSubTopic 2.1.2
SubSubTopic 2.1.3
SubTopic 2.2
SubSubTopic 2.2.1
SubSubTopic 2.2.2
SubTopic 2.3

Everything works fine.

Now - we use TOP TOPIC 1 and TOP TOPIC 2 as published user guides. We are using snippet links for everything and User Guide 1 is the typical:

TOP TOPIC 1
SubTopic 1.1
SubSubTopic 1.1.1
SubSubTopic 1.1.2
SubSubTopic 1.1.3
SubTopic 1.2
SubSubTopic 1.2.1
SubSubTopic 1.2.2
SubTopic 1.3
*** Cover Page, TOC, Index, last page

This actually prints OK, HOWEVER...

TOP TOPIC 1 is treated as CHAPTER 1 (and the ONLY chapter.) I'd REALLY like to leave this linked (as we are already) to help which works great, but make it so 1.1 becomes chapter 1, 1.2 becomes chapter 2, etc and TOP TOPIC 1 is not treated as anything but more like the "extra content" type stuff such as the cover, last page, etc.

I thought about actually CREATING another common page, but that won't work since the shared USER GUIDE template would need this unique "page" for every project (ie: The content on this page is linked to a different Help TOP TOPIC x) and ALL USER GUIDES use a common template.

If this is not practical, that's fine. Just an "I wish"...
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: When is a chapter not a chapter

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Jep,

If I understand you correctly, you're referring to PDF output here. Your top topic is a TOC entry, you can't have it not be a TOC entry at the same time. It's also not being treated as a chapter, but as a TOC entry, like everything else in the TOC. There is no difference between that TOC entry and any of the others, so the definition of the numbering for that level will include everything on that level.

I see what you're getting at here, namely that you want a way to tag certain TOC entries for different treatment, but that isn't currently possible. :?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.