Style indents not the same

Discussions about Help+Manual 9

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Aitch

Style indents not the same

Unread post by Aitch »

Hi all

I have set up a style with indents, which I am happy with, and replaced the previous style with this one.

But, for some reason the indents are not the same across all topics? I've tried to adjust the indents, but this all goes wrong.

The only difference between these two topics are that one is a level or 2 further down (child topic) in a different main topic though. I can't find anything else different? even though the topics are child topics, the requirement is for the indents / margin / spaces to be the same, if that make sense.

please help! :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Version 9.0.3 Build 6380

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Always check your spellar and gramming before you publish!
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Style indents not the same

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Heidi,

Your screenshots show that there are definitely different indents being applied here. You can see that clearly in the ruler at the top of the editor window, which shows the setting that is being used. The problem is most likely in combination with the fact that this is a list. Indents in lists function a little differently from those in normal paragraphs. The indent for the entire list is taken from the FIRST item in the list. The paragraph indents of all items in the entire list -- even multi-level lists -- are taken from the FIRST item.

When you are applying the indent with a style, you must apply the style to at least the first item in the list. In multi-level lists this must be the first top-level item. No indents in any other list item will apply. Even so, it is best to apply the style to all items in a list for consistency, because a) the other style attributes will be applied to them and b) if you ever split the list, the first item in the new list will define the indent for that list, and if it already has the correct indent from the style everything will be OK. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.