Language attribute

Discussions about Help+Manual 9

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

tatar027

Language attribute

Unread post by tatar027 »

Hello, I'm working on improving the accessibility of our help & support (published as Webhelp) and I need to specify a language.

I've checked Configuration > Common Properties > Language settings and I can see a language is specified, but our accessibility checks showed no language attribute. Is there a way I can set a language attribute in H&M?

Any guidance would be much appreciated!

Thank you in advance,
Taylor
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Language attribute

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Taylor,

You don't say, but I assume you are using WebHelp and want the language attribute there. If you are using the skins from the current Premium Pack add-on all the WebHelp skins there automatically add the attribute. If you are using one of the standard skins included with Help+Manual it is easy to add it:

Open the .hmskin skin file, which you can edit just like a project, and navigate to Configuration > HTML Page Templates > Default. In the source code editor, add lang="<%XMLLANG%>" to the html tag at the top of the file, like this:

Code: Select all

<html lang="<%XMLLANG%>">
When you publish to WebHelp, the XMLLANG variable will automatically add the correct code for the language set in your project.

This only adds the attribute to the topic pages. You should also do the same for the main layout page, TOC, Keyword Index and Search page templates, which you can find in Configuration > Publishing > WebHelp.

IMPORTANT: All this has to be done in the .hmskin skin file you are using for publishing, not in your project. The project has the same settings, but they are only used when you are not using a skin and are ignored otherwise. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.