HelpXplain XML schema?

HelpXplain is the exciting new animated infographics and screencast tool that integrates with Help+Manual.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Simon_Dismore

HelpXplain XML schema?

Unread post by Simon_Dismore »

Is the HelpXplain project file XML schema documented anywhere?

I was thinking of testing Altova StyleVision as a starting point to pre-populate projects.

Thanks for any info
Simon
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: HelpXplain XML schema?

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Simon,

The Help & Manual XML schema is fully documented in the Helpman_XML_ref.chm file, which you can find in the Help & Manual program directory. You also have the full XSD schema file in every Help+Manual project at the root level. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Simon_Dismore

Hi Tim

Yes, I know about Helpman_XML_Ref.chm

I was wondering whether there was something similar for HelpXplain, documenting elements like <frame> <spotlight> <calloutshape>, the <VisualElements> configuration etc.

Thanks,
Simon
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Simon,

Sorry, I skimmed your mail too quickly along with many other things. :shock: I'll check into this.
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Simon,

I just checked and the XML used in Xplains isn't currently documented officially. It's also not formalized with an XSD, as of yet. :?
Regards,

Private support:
Simon_Dismore

Tim Green wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:37 pm Simon,

I just checked and the XML used in Xplains isn't currently documented officially. It's also not formalized with an XSD, as of yet. :?
Thanks for checking!
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

Hi Simon,
The XML format of HelpXplain is not officially documented, and we don't plan on disclosing it, either. It just doesn't make sense. An .xplain file is a zip archive that not only consists of an XML file inside, but also image files and other binary resources, together with a fully rendered preview image at full size and thumbnails of every slide. So in order to create an .xplain file manually outside HelpXplain, you'd need to reproduce all that.

I suggest you focus on our next project, which we hope to offer a beta version for quite soon (definitely before Christmas).

SnipSVG is a new image editor, meant to replace the old Impict image editor in Help+Manual. It's based on the library of HelpXplain, but is designed to edit static images only.

The beauty of this tool is (hence the name): it can save annotated screenshots in SVG format, and read them again. In other words: instead of attempting to create HelpXplain XML, create an SVG file that SnipSVG can read and edit.

That's going to be much easier.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH
Simon_Dismore

Hi Alexander

Thanks for the feedback. I think for our use case - which is mainly re-purposing/translating - we can simply replace files in the zipped xplain: there's usually a 1-to-1 equivalent, so it isn't essential to understand the XML. The goal was never to replace HelpXplain, just to scaffold input for it. If I delete all the png previews I think HelpXplain just re-creates them from the source slides.

Re: SnapSVG, I'd love to see it., particularly if...
  • Resources can include separately maintained SVG documents as well as bitmap images
  • Resources can be internal or external (use cases: translation, versioning, division of authoring responsibilities, CSS)
  • Author has option to control resource filenames and their internal IDs
  • External resources can have a relative base location (as above, and very helpful for mass changes)
  • External resources can be "compiled" into the main file (by compiled I'm thinking you can merge in SVG and CSS, and base64 encode bitmaps)
  • Parts of the SVG can be addressed using #fragment IDs (use case: show/hide things)
  • ...and H+M and HelpXplain can address images using #fragment IDs (details here).
Best wishes
Simon