Validating internet links?

Discussions about Help+Manual 9

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Swiss Matt

Validating internet links?

Unread post by Swiss Matt »

I have many links to other websites in my WebHelp project. I need to verify that these links still exist and get a report of which links are now broken, so I can update them. I can generate the "long report", save it as an html file, and write a program to parse the "Internet Links" table row.
Q1) Is there an easier way to do it? There could be a "Validate internet links" option?
Q2) Where is the "report" file stored? I could not find it. This would save me having to manually save it from the browser.
Q3) Can the "long report" be automatically generated on each WebHelp build? (by option/script/command line...)
Thanks for anyone's help!
Matt
muman.ch
Swiss Matt

Re: Validating internet links?

Unread post by Swiss Matt »

... continued
In the end, I wrote a small .NET app to process the html files in the HTML directory created by H+M. It finds the hrefs with class="weblink" and does a HEAD request to see if it's there. It found a several broken links! This could be a good feature for H+M, if it's not already there.
Matt
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Validating internet links?

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Matt,

Currently, Help+Manual only checks internal links within the current project. A feature like this may be added in the future, but it's not at the top of the list at the moment. :?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.