Drupal-related publishing questions

Discussions about Help+Manual 9

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Elissa Miller

Drupal-related publishing questions

Unread post by Elissa Miller »

Hi, all:

It's a testament to H+M's ease of use that I only end up in the forums about once a year. This year, I'm afraid the question isn't a straightforward "how do I do this?" or "why isn't this working?" I don't have enough domain knowledge outside how to use H+M to publish lovely navigable webhelp to solve a publishing issue.

I have a client that's fully committed to the Drupal environment and think that they should continue publishing help through Drupal's knowledge base feature. As implemented for their organization, the knowledge base feature is just nigh impossible to use as a help authoring tool. But they are adamant even though it's going to take me at least four times as long to author the help in the bare-bones system, and the help won't be nearly as good as if it were created in a real authoring tool. So, here are my ignorant questions, many of which are out of scope for H+M but will help me make my case if anyone is kind enough to help me:
  • Any chance there's an easy and obvious way to publish H+M-generated webhelp in a Drupal environment? (For due diligence, I have to ask, even though that's almost certainly an ignorant question.)
  • As far as I can tell, Drupal requires Apache. So, I could conceivably convince them to let me have a directory on the already-existing Apache web server, and they could map it as a subdomain like help.mydrupalclient.com. Right? (I know that's not an H+M question, but remember, I'm ignorant.)
  • Currently, the Drupal-based knowledge base is protected from public viewing by ensuring that the requester has a valid string in their URL. Also not an H+M question, but if we published webhelp outside Drupal, is it at least conceivable that they could put some kind of check-that-you're-a-valid-user protection on it?
Again, I know this is all out of scope and probably not enough information to be useful, but the client and I have such different perspectives, backgrounds, and skill sets that I'm hoping to at least reach a common language to discuss how and why publishing a real webhelp set will save time, save money, and give end users a much better help experience.

Thanks as always,
Elissa
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Drupal-related publishing questions

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Elissa,

Help+Manual isn't Drupal-aware, if that's what you mean here, so integrating it wouldn't be Drupal-specific. However, the Premium Pack V3, V4 and V5 skins include functionality for embedding help in other HTML pages -- both the entire help and the ability to open single topics and popups from links in your existing pages. We haven't tried this with Drupal, but you might want to give it a go. The Premium Pack can't have a trial mode because skins are just source code and can't have a time limit. However, if you try it out and it turns out to be useless for you we'd be happy to refund the purchase price.

You can see the chapter on embedded help in the current Premium Pack here:

https://www.it-authoring.com/info/pp5he ... edded.html
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Elissa Miller

Re: Drupal-related publishing questions

Unread post by Elissa Miller »

Thanks! This is extremely helpful. I will probably have more questions but this is sufficient to push me over the finish line on my first challenge, which is getting them to believe we can use anything but the Drupal built-in KB tool (a tool that's so easy to use that it makes me long for Oxygen XML, which until now was my most-disliked client-makes-me-use-this platform).

Cheers,
Elissa