Embedded fonts in ePub

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Alexey

Embedded fonts in ePub

Unread post by Alexey »

When building ePub file I noticed that H&M embeds 'symbol.ttf' font, and there's no way to avoid that. It's not used in any of the styles in the project.
I unzipped the target ePub file, did a search in files and found out that the font is in fact never used in the files, it's only found in default.css.
H&M does not provide any options to exclude specific fonts from embedding in ePub (as compared to PDF).
How can I exclude it, since it's not used anyway? It increases the size of the target file, there's also a concern about the rights for distribution of this font.

HM 8.4.4 build 5960
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Embedded fonts in ePub

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Alexey,

It will only be added to default.css if you are actually using it somewhere. The most likely candidate is in a bulleted list.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Alexey

Unread post by Alexey »

Yes, I just found that out myself :)
Replaced the standard windings font in all lists with another font and it disappeared.
Thank you!
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Note that embedding these Microsoft fonts in PDFs is actually OK. See the section on "document embedding" in this Microsoft page on the subject:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/typog ... s/font-faq
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.